Tournament Director Les Conner is calling the Shoot the Rim 3-D archery competition a huge success.
“We had 67 shooters, a great turnout,” he said. “The shooters especially enjoyed the two separate courses.”
Competitors competed over two courses, for the first time ever, thanks to the generosity of the Mogollon Sporting Association. Last spring, the MSA purchased 14 new McKenzie life-sized 3-D targets, which were set up at the Tonto Rim Sports Club Jim Jones Shooting Range, where the tournament was held.
The targets were of bear, deer and mountain lions and archers walked a course, firing various distances.
As can be seen by the surnames of many of the top shooters, the event was the family-friendly activity organizers hoped it would be.
Medal winners by division and bow type were:
• Men’s Compound: Will Barks, gold; Alan Wolf, silver
• Women’s Compound: Tania Barks, gold; Mary Wolf, silver
• Youth (M) Compound: Jonathan Barks, gold; Les Buce, silver; Reid Wiles, bronze
• Cub (F) Compound: Abby Greenleaf, gold; Victoria Barks, silver
• Cub (M) Compound: Case Johnson, gold
• Men’s Traditional: Drew Justice, gold; Ned Greenleaf, silver; Ken Crump, bronze
• Youth (M) Traditional: Dylan Justice, gold; Robert Jones, silver
• Cub (F) Traditional: Emma Greenleaf, gold
• Clout winner: Dylan Justice, Youth (M) Traditional
A Clout Shoot is at a bull’s-eye target, rather than a 3-D target, and is from long range, usually about 100 yards.
The shoot was sponsored for the first time ever by the Town of Payson Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department as well as TRSC.
The parks department will be offering another youth archery program this fall. Details are not yet finalized, but the program will give Payson area youngsters the opportunity to learn about the sport, plus a chance at hands-on practice.
This is just one of the many programs now being planned for the fall and winter season by the Payson Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department. Find out about upcoming offerings by stopping by the office in Green Valley Park or go online to www.paysonrimcountry.com.