Folks really love the quilts the Strawberry Patchers display at the annual June quilt show.
This year, the show, which was held June 11, 12 and 13 in the cultural hall of the Pine Strawberry Community Center, at least 1,000 people paid their $2 entry fee to see the quilts and wearable art.
“We didn’t have as many quilts as in the past,” said show coordinator Leslie Peacock.
“The fewer entries may have been due to the economy. But on the bright side, several of the visitors said it made viewing the quilts easier.”
She said the openness of the display made it possible for guests to get a close look at the stitching and to easily see both sides of the quilts.
Peacock said visitors also seemed especially interested in the lace making demonstration and talking with members who were manning the boutique area and working on knitting and English paper piecing projects.
“We are going to recommend that the show next year have more demonstrations,” Peacock said.
Winning recognition for their work were:
• Favorite Quilt: Casa Lovetro, first, by Kris Lovetro; Love Always, second, by Patty McKinney; Out of My Bloomin’ Mind, third, Monika Hancock.
• Favorite Art Quilt: Glimpses of Falling Water, first, by Vicki Welsh; Midnight Magic, second, by Connie Marco; Prayers for a Friend, third, by Connie Smith.
• Favorite Wearable: Lizards in the Sky with Diamonds, first, by Marque Jacobs; Cherokee Spirit, second, by Sheila Riggs; Bugle Boy, third, by Maureen Pastika.
• Favorite Child Theme: Monkey Business, first, by Brenda Dickenson; Untitled, second, by Sandy Davidson; Ragdoll Wall Hanging, third, by Jinny Kost.
• Most Humorous: Funky Chicken, first, by Cathy Mathiason; Monkey Business, second, Brenda Dickinson; It’s All About the Shoes, third, by Leslie Peacock.
• “WOW” Factor: Casa Lovetro, first, Kris Lovetro; Out of My Bloomin’ Mind, second, Monika Hancock; Bloomin’ Desert, third, by Sandy Davidson.
• Best Embroidery: My Favorite Things, first, Connie Marco; Untitled, second, Norma Manos; Monkey Business, third, Brenda Dickinson.
• Best of Show: Monkey Business by Brenda Dickinson.
• Arizona Quilter Hall of Fame Award: Out of My Bloomin’ Mind by Monika Hancock.