You’ve probably heard the saying, “You are what you eat.” If this is true, you should eat healthy, right? In reality, most people struggle with their taste buds and their conscience on doing what’s right.
Most people know they should eat healthy. However, too many believe that healthy food can’t taste great and be filling. These are common misconceptions that lead to poor food decisions. It is absolutely possible to serve wholesome dishes that have great taste and are filling, too. It all starts with choosing foods with the right ingredients.
When grocery shopping:
• Read the ingredients list first. If an ingredient is at the top of the list, there is relatively more of it. Steer clear of artificial additives, because they’re typically unhealthy. For example, High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), Autolyzed Yeast Extract (AYE), and Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT) are all ingredients you want to avoid.
• Review the nutrition facts and note the Daily Value (DV) percentage per serving listed next to each nutrient. Daily Values are the recommended amount of nutrients a person should get every day. Limit foods that are high in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium by looking for a lower percent of DV. Instead, choose foods with a higher percent of DV for fiber, vitamins and minerals.
• Visit the frozen food section. Some frozen foods have been frozen at the peak of freshness to protect their nutritional benefits, which means they deliver just as much nutritional value as - or more than - fresh products.
When planning a weekly menu, use recipes that make the most of wholesome ingredients.
The following no-fuss recipe starts with Contessa Frozen Convenience Meals, letting you serve up fabulous meals that don’t compromise on taste. Serve them as-is, or get creative. Each ready meal can be used as a starting point for a whole new recipe with just a few changes or additional ingredients.
For more recipes and a complimentary booklet loaded with tips to make you ingredient-savvy, along with a special guide on how to read a Nutrition Facts label, visit Contessa.com and request Volume 1 of “Better Ingredients. Better You.”
Shrimp Stir-Fry Wrap
Makes 4 to 6 servings
2 cups rice
1 package Contessa Shrimp Stir-Fry
4 large tortillas
1 cup mild salsa
2 cups Monterey Jack and
American cheese, shredded
Prepare rice per instructions on package.
Prepare stir-fry per instructions on package.
Lay tortillas flat, spoon in 2 tablespoons rice, 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 cup stir-fry. Sprinkle generously with cheese, then wrap.
Serve with salsa.
Busy schedules can set life into warp speed, so make dinner plans a snap with sensational new salad solutions that kick-start fresh meals and deliver big on flavor.
The surprising and delightful varieties of leafy greens now available can deliver a unique and fresh taste experience whether as a side salad or a meal. Adventurous salad eaters no longer have to settle for the so-so - instead they can find standout fresh salads with eye-catching colors, an array of textures and a perfect balance of sweet and bold flavors. The fresh tasting salad blends from Fresh Express (or similar companies) now in the produce aisle can be tossed in your favorite vinaigrette for a delicious side dish. Or, simply add rotisserie chicken to make it a satisfying entrée.
Ready-to-dress right out of the package, new premium lettuce blends can inspire fresh menus and delicious meals everyday, right up to and including the holidays. Try these easy and flavorful tips:
• Top fancy greens with sliced roasted pork tenderloin and wedges of fresh plum; dress lightly with a ginger marinade and a pinch of sea salt.
• Shred rotisserie chicken to top baby spinach and sliced red onion; dress with some chicken juices and a touch of vinegar.
• Toss diced ham, golden raisins, peanuts and sweet tender greens with a curry-seasoned vinaigrette.
• Grill and slice fresh tuna to top tender ruby red lettuces; dress with a caper-laced creamy Caesar dressing and a grind of fresh black pepper.
The on-shelf line-up from salad innovator Fresh Express brings a welcome new dimension to dining including exceptionally fresh blends not found anywhere else. New Fancy Greens combines romaine, tango, carrots and radicchio for a well-balanced flavorful salad in which every ingredient shines. Sophisticated Tender Leaf blends are harvested and grown only in select regions to ensure rich buttery flavor, melt-in-your-mouth texture, vibrant color and bite size leaves.
Unique and fresh flavors are just moments away when you start with salads that combine the colors, textures and gourmet ingredients to deliver a truly satisfying fresh flavor experience. For sensational and easy-to-make fresh salads check out www.FreshExpress.com.
Fancy Greens with Artichokes, Tomatoes and Sourdough Crisps in a Dijon Vinaigrette
1, 7-ounce package Fresh Express Fancy Greens
1, 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts in water (drained)
1-1/2 cups pear, grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
16 1/4-inch-thick slices of sourdough baguette
3 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 375degrees. Toss sourdough slices in olive oil and bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool while you assemble the salad.
In a medium bowl, combine artichokes, tomatoes and red onion, and gently toss. Add your favorite Dijon vinaigrette and pour over artichoke mixture, and toss well to coat. To serve, gently fold in greens and warm sourdough crisps, lightly toss to coat, divide salad among four plates. (Serve it with a piece of grilled wild salmon for a sensational entrée salad.)
Smoked Turkey and Blue Cheese Salad
1, 7-ounce package Fresh Express Leafy Green Romaine
2 cups smoked turkey breast, deli sliced or diced
1 Red Delicious apple, sliced
6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
6 tablespoons toasted pecan halves
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon minced onion or shallot
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add enough dressing to season to taste. Season generously with pepper. Toss well and serve.
Salads Star on Dinner Menus
Satisfy cravings with high-flavor specialty salads made with one-of-a-kind lettuce combos. Whether eaten as an entrée, or as a side dish dressed with a classic vinaigrette, these salads deliver the fresh taste and variety that you are always hungry for.
• Sweet Tender Greens
• Tender Ruby Reds
• Fancy Greens
Star Attraction Salad
• Top with grilled salmon, slivered almonds, mandarin orange segments
• Roll up in flour tortilla with Southwestern grilled chicken tenders and salsa
• Top with shrimp sautéed with garlic and Parmesan cheese
Or Scene-Stealing Side
• Toss with red grapes, red onion, blue cheese, mustard vinaigrette
• Toss with crumbled bacon, croutons, creamy garlic dressing
• Toss with cherry tomatoes, roasted pecans and mustard vinaigrette
Liven Up Lunch
Starved for a satisfying lunch on the run? Don’t sacrifice taste for time, or freshness for convenience. Let lunch become a delicious and fresh-tasting meal you deserve in the midst of a busy day. Upgrade your “brown bag” to an “all in one” complete salad for a fresh take on the lunch break. While you’re at it, refuel your senses as well as your energy level. If you’re at your desk, download some music you enjoy; or head outside to eat al fresco. Sip a cold drink, and make lunch a tasty time out from the routine.
Source: Fresh Express - Courtesy of Family Features