Police handed two Payson children over to Child Protective Services Friday because they had a high level of carbon monoxide in their system and were living in filthy conditions.
Police arrested their parents, Michael Duane Angelo Williams, 36, and Stephanie Renee Bigelow, 27, on charges of child abuse as well as drug- and weapon-related charges.
Payson Police Chief Don Engler said when officers served a drug warrant at a home in the 200 block of East Cedar Lane about 7:30 a.m., they were horrified to find two boys, ages 3 and 11, living in dangerous conditions.
Police had to break open a door to enter the home, since Williams was asleep at the time and unresponsive. Police found the inside of the home trashed and filled with engines, motorcycles and parts. Williams is a mechanic and was doing his repairs in the living room, said Engler.
“There were different motorcycle and combustible engines in the residence being worked on,” Engler said. “There was also open gasoline in the home.”
Engler believes the children were breathing in high levels of carbon monoxide from the open containers.
The three-year-old boy was found very sick and “did not even wake up through the whole ordeal,” he said. “He needed significant medical attention.”
Both boys were taken to Payson Regional Medical Center where they were later transported to a Valley hospital.
It is unknown if the boys had drugs in their systems, but officers did find methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia and guns.
Bigelow, who was at work at the time of the search, was brought back to the residence and later arrested along with Williams.