The Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest is seeking public comment after Oct. 29, on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Motorized Travel Management.
Based on issues and concerns raised by the public and forest specialists, the forest has prepared the DEIS with a full description of the affected environment, a reasonable range of alternatives, and an analysis of the impacts of each alternative, their press release said.
Public open houses will provide opportunities to discuss the proposed action and alternatives contained in the DEIS with Forest personnel and are listed below.
The open houses are:
• Nov. 8, Lakeside- Show Low Whipple Ranch Elementary School — 4:30-7:30 p.m.
• Nov. 10 Alpine Community Center, 4:30-7:30 p.m.
• Nov. 15 Black Mesa Overgaard Navajo County Mogollon Complex, 4:30-7:30 p.m.
Nov. 16, Clifton Railroad Depot 4:30-7:30 p.m.
Nov. 17, Springerville Forest Supervisor’s Office, 4:30-7:30 p.m.
For online copies of the DEIS, go to: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf
Over 30 public meetings were sponsored by the Forest as an extra effort to provide opportunities to listen and hear what the public was thinking and feeling about travel management. Feedback received from these past public meetings assisted forest managers in firming up an initial travel management proposal in which the public had a significant role in its creation and from which the DEIS has been prepared.
An EIS under United States environmental law, is a document required by the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) for federal government agency actions. A tool for decision making, an EIS documents the analysis of social and environmental effects of proposed agency actions – and cites alternative actions.
• For online copies of the DEIS, go to: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/projects/travel-management.shtml.
• Electronic: email comments to email@example.com (.txt, .pdf, .doc, .rtf formats only). An electronic comment form is available on-line at http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/projects/travel-management.shtml.
• Written: Fax comments to 928-333-5966.
• Mail comments to
ASNFs Travel Comments
P.O Box 640
Springerville, AZ 85938
• Hand Deliver: Deliver comments to 30 S. Chiricahua Dr., Springerville, AZ between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
• In person or telephone: To make your comments orally, call the travel management hotline at 928-333-6267 to arrange an appointment.
Deadline for submitting comments is 45 days after the Notice of Availability is published in the Federal Registry. Comments will only be considered if full name and a physical address is included in comments. Names/addresses of commentors become part of the public record.