Woman Badly Injured After Fall From Horse


A Star Valley woman was badly injured after she fell off her horse while riding near Monument Peak Sunday morning.

The woman was reportedly riding with her husband and several other riders on a series of trails between the Knolls and Granite Dells Road.

For unknown reasons, the woman at some point fell from her horse, landing on her face and chest, said Gila County Sheriff’s Sgt. Terry Hudgens.

The woman sustained injuries to her face and sternum, leaving her unable to talk or ride out.

A Valley doctor nearby called for help. Hudgens did not know if the doctor was riding with the woman or just in the area.

Rescuers responded and delicately transported the woman on a backboard to the Monument Peak trailhead.

Tonto Rim Search and Rescue volunteers alternated between carrying the woman over rough patches of trail and strapping her to an ATV when the trail leveled off.

TRSAR Commander Bill Pitterle said rescuers were worried about neck and back injuries so extra caution was taken.

A Native Air helicopter met rescuers at the road and airlifted the woman to a Valley hospital.

Dehydrated Scout

On Saturday, rescuers responded to one of the most common areas for rescues — Fossil Creek.

Due to its ever-increasing popularity, nearly every weekend a hiker is helped out of the area for dehydration, injuries or exhaustion.

This time, a Mesa Boy Scout hiking with seven other Scouts and several adult chaperons was assisted back to the trailhead by rescuers after becoming severely dehydrated.

Hudgens said the troop was hiking from the lower trailhead to the upper springs. Somewhere along the trail, the 13-year-old Scout became dehydrated and began throwing up from heat exhaustion. Despite efforts to rehydrate the teen, he could not keep any amount of water down.

A woman hiking nearby passed the group and when she realized what was going on, hiked out to an area with cell service and called for help.

TRSAR, Hudgens and the Pine-Strawberry Fire Department parked at the lower trailhead and began hiking up to the group. By the time they reached the group, they were already walking down and the teen was doing better.

Hudgens learned the group had fastened a rudimentary litter by tying a blanket to sticks and carrying the teen part of the way out.

The teen was escorted out to the trailhead and refused further medical treatment, Hudgens said.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.