A smoking air conditioner motor on the roof of Safeway Monday morning led firefighters to evacuate some 50 customers and employees.
No one was injured and the supermarket reopened after less than an hour, authorities said.
Around 9:30 a.m., store Manager Dan Dillon reported a haze of smoke near the ceiling.
As a precaution, everyone was ordered out as 18 firefighters determined a cause.
Fire Chief Marty deMasi said one of the store’s AC handler units had malfunctioned and the compressor seized up, producing smoke, but no flames.
deMasi believes a power outage earlier in the morning may be connected with the malfunction.
Dillon called an electrician and the store quickly reopened.
“The rest of the store in good shape and operational,” deMasi said.