Man Dies In Star Valley Rv Fire

Advertisement

A man was killed and a woman barely escaped with her life Wednesday in an early morning blaze in a Star Valley RV park.

Ruth Butcher, 88, was sleeping in the forward area of a fifth wheel in the Lamplighter RV Park when she smelled smoke and heard popping noises coming from the rear of the trailer about 3:20 a.m., said Lt. Tim Scoot with the Gila County Sheriff’s Office.

Butcher escaped the home just in time, but her son, Stanley Slaughter, 64, died.

Gila County Sheriff detectives are still determining a cause of the fire, but fire officials believe a cigarette may have been the cause.

Read more in Friday’s paper.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.