The bedroom in a Houston Mesa home was damaged from flames Thursday, but firefighters kept the fire from spreading to the rest of the home. The grandmother of the home’s owner asks Houston Mesa volunteer firefighter Andy Brandt what happened.
Photo by Alexis Bechman.
Firefighters saved a home from burning down Thursday afternoon and rescued the home’s only occupant.
Lloyd, the family’s guinea pig, was resting in his cage inside the home in the 7400 block of West Toya Vista when a fire started in a rear bedroom.
Firefighters quickly responded and saved Lloyd from his glass tomb, much to the relief of owner Denise Camp, who was sure smoke had claimed the guinea pig’s life.
“We got the guinea pig out fine,” said Houston Mesa Fire Chief Mark Essary. “She was holding him when we left.”
The home’s other renter, Mike Basner, said he had just left an hour earlier, taking his two dogs with him. When he returned and opened the front door, a plume of smoke greeted him.
Basner said he immediately closed the door and called Camp at work, who then called 911.
The fire was isolated to the bedroom of their 12-year-old daughter.
Essary said the fire started from a candle left burning in the daughter’s bedroom The candle burned down for several hours, igniting the wood nightstand, then spread to the walls and flooring.
The family moved into the home just a month ago and was able to return home later that night.
“Being a mobile home, they can go up fast, so we were lucky on that,” Essary said.
The fire caused roughly $2,000 in damages.
Firefighters from Houston Mesa, Payson, Beaver Valley and Whispering Pines responded.