Fire At Mcdonald’S Closes Restaurant Briefly Tuesday

Advertisement

McDonald’s was briefly closed Wednesday after a fryer caught fire Tuesday night.

Nearly 20 Payson firefighters rushed to the restaurant and snuffed out the fryer blaze in minutes. The commotion of fire trucks wasn’t enough to scare buyers off. As crews cleaned up, vehicles pulled through the drive-thru, even though the fast food joint was closed, said Fire Chief Marty deMasi.

“As we were getting ready to leave, cars were pulling up,” he said.

The fire started about 10 p.m. when a large fryer’s electrical system “failed” and a blaze erupted, deMasi said.

Employees called for help and did not attempt to extinguish the flames.

Luckily, grease in the fryer did not ignite, so it only took firefighters a few minutes to snuff the blaze.

“The only thing burned was the fryer,” he said. “There was also smoke damage inside the building.”

The restaurant, at 107 E. Highway 260, was reopened by noon, Wednesday, deMasi said.

No one was injured.

Comments

Pat Randall 3 years, 9 months ago

Where was the hood and Ansul fire retardent system at McDonalds? If installed and working properly it should have put out the fire.

0

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.