Inconclusive — that is the ruling investigators gave a fire that destroyed a Mesa del Caballo home May 22.
With much of the evidence destroyed in the quick-moving, early morning blaze, officials say they cannot conclusively determine what started the fire.
Houston Mesa Fire Chief Mark Essary said the blaze still appears suspect, but they do not have proof to back up their suspicions.
Last Wednesday, a Valley arson investigator sifted through what remained of the site-built home, but could not draw a cause for the fire.
The fire reportedly started when no one was home. The homeowners were in the Valley at the time, but their adult son had been staying at the home. He left before neighbors reported the fire just after 7:30 a.m. to gamble at the casino and get gas for a chain saw, Essary said.