Social Security Questions And Answers



Question: What’s the easiest way to apply for retirement benefits?

Answer: You can apply for retirement benefits using our online Retirement Application at www.socialsecurity .gov/retire. It’s fast, easy, and secure. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Question: How can I get an estimate of my retirement benefits?

Answer: Our online Retirement Estimator uses your Social Security earnings record to estimate your future benefits. To use the Retirement Estimator, go to estimator. There, you can enter certain identifying information about yourself.

As long as the personal information you provide matches our records, you can use the Retirement Estimator to enter other information, such as your expected retirement age and estimated future wages.

This information will be combined with the information that Social Security has on record about your past earnings to provide a quick and reliable online benefit estimate.

A Spanish-language Retirement Estimator also is available at

Get an instant, personalized estimate of your future benefits now at

Supplemental Security Income

Question: How do I report a change of address if I’m on Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

Answer: You must report any change of address by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, or by visiting a local office within 10 days after the month the change occurs.

You cannot complete a change of address online because we must obtain more specific information about the change in your living arrangement. Failure to report or filing false reports could result in a fine, imprisonment, or both.

Even if you receive your benefits by direct deposit, you need to report your new address to Social Security so that you can continue to receive mail from Social Security when necessary.

To learn more about SSI reporting responsibilities, read the publication What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at


Question: How does a blind or visually impaired person choose how Social Security communicates with them about changes or important information?

Answer: If you are blind or visually impaired, you have choices for receiving information from Social Security. To sign up or change these notice options, contact us through one of the following ways:

• Go to our page, If You Are Blind Or Visually Impaired — Your Choices For Receiving Information from Social Security at notices;

• Call us toll-free at 1-877-708-1776 (TTY 1-800-325-0778);

• Contact your local Social Security office; or

• Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you live outside the United States.

The fastest and easiest way to learn about and sign up for these options is at


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.