On Thursday, a man that had just bought a 1982 Winnebago, filled it with 50 gallons of gas and was proudly driving it into his driveway got quite a shock when the RV exploded in flames.
Halfway off the street, the man heard a loud pop from underneath the RV and in mere minutes, it was a roaring fireball. Luckily, the man had escaped.
Firefighters were called to 166 Trails East in Oxbow Estates around 3:45 p.m. as black smoke filled the sky.
When firefighters arrived, gasoline from the RV was running down the street and a full propane tank was still inside the motor home.
Forest Service personnel built a dike to keep the gas from spreading to nearby homes and vegetation.
By 4:15, the fire was out, but little remained of the “new” RV.
The driver was treated for smoke inhalation.