Keep Your Pets Safe From Halloween Hazards

Advertisement

I think Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. There is nothing more fun than dressing Aiden up in his costume (this year, he is a tiger), and going out to get candy, all while enjoying the Halloween experience. Being a parent, there are certain dangers that my family and I have to be careful of, including tampered candy and really scary houses that Aiden is afraid to go up to.

Being a pet owner comes with some concerns and dangers to be aware of as well. I’ve listed the top 6 dangers and the symptoms to keep an eye out for. I hope this is beneficial and that you all have an amazing time celebrating Halloween. I know I will.

Chocolate. It is more poisonous to pets than any other candy. Chocolate contains methylxanthines — chemicals similar to caffeine that can quickly sicken dogs. In general, the darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is. Symptoms in pets that have ingested chocolate include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or agitation, increased thirst, an elevated heart rate and, in severe cases, seizures.

Candy. It’s hard enough for a human to stop at just one piece of candy, so imagine how difficult it is for a pet. Large ingestions of sugary, high-fat candy can lead to pancreatitis, which may not show up for two to four days after the pet ingests the candy. Pets that have ingested candy may show signs such as decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain and even kidney failure or organ damage.

Candy wrappers. The candy itself isn’t the only threat. Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can cause life-threatening bowel obstructions, which often require surgical intervention. Symptoms in pets that have ingested candy wrappers include vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate, or lethargy.

Raisins. While good-intentioned neighbors may hand out raisins as a healthy alternative to candy, very small amounts of raisins (or grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. Some dogs develop idiosyncratic reactions at any dose — in other words, ingesting any amount can cause serious damage. Pets that have ingested raisins may show signs like vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, abdominal pain and severe kidney failure.

Glow sticks and jewelry. Pets love to chew on things they’re not supposed to, and cats in particular seem to love these items. Over the past year, 70 percent of Pet Poison Hotline’s calls relating to glow sticks and jewelry involved cats. In addition to the choking hazard, the contents of glow sticks can cause pain and irritation in the mouth. Keep an eye out for mouth pain, as well as profuse drooling and foaming at the mouth.

Costumes. Though you may love the costume, does your pet? Some costumes can cause discomfort in pets, and any metallic beads, snaps or other small pieces (particularly those made of zinc or lead) can result in serious poisoning if ingested. Finally, don’t ever dye or apply coloring to a pet’s fur, even if the dye is labeled non-toxic to humans. If you dress your pets in costumes, make sure it doesn’t impair the pets’ vision, movement or air intake.

Adoptable pets

Don’t forget to come down during Adopt a Shelter Dog Month and adopt one of our amazing dogs. Adoptions fees are at an all time low, while adoptions are increasing daily. Come adopt your new friend today and take part in one of our favorite events of the year.

To view all of our adoptable animals, please visit us any day of the week from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. We are located at 812 S. McLane Road. Call (928) 474-5590, or visit us on the web at www.humanesocietycentralaz.org.

photo

Holly

HOLLY

Holly is a 7-month-old Terrier mix. She is very playful and affectionate. Holly is doing very well with learning basic commands and training. She even walks well on leash. Holly gets along great with other dogs and likes children. If you are looking for a family pet, this is your girl.

photo

Buddy

BUDDY 

Buddy is a handsome, 5-year-old Shepherd mix. He is obedient, well mannered and would make a great companion for an active person who enjoys hiking or daily walks. He is neutered and current on his vaccines.

CRUNCH 

Crunch is a playful pup. He is very outgoing and will need an active household that he can be a part of. He is good with other dogs and loves to play. Because of how energetic he is, older kids may be more suitable for him. He is neutered and current on vaccines.

photo

Curtis

CURTIS 

Curtis is a gorgeous, all-white kitty. He is about 9 months old and is fairly easygoing. He loves to cuddle up in your lap so that you can pet and brush him. He gets along with the other cats he is housed with, and would make a great addition to a loving family. He is current on vaccines, neutered and has passed his health tests.

photo

Wiley

photo

Dusty

WILEY & DUSTY 

Wiley, an 11-year-old male, and Dusty, an 11-year-old female, are litter mates who have lived together since they were kittens. Due to unfortunate circumstances, their owner had to surrender them to us. These cats are easygoing, clean and quiet and are pretty lovable. We would love for them to be adopted together, since they have been with each other for 11 years. They are fixed, current on shots and have passed their health tests. They would make ideal companions for someone who has a calm home, and would happily welcome them into it.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.