The needs in the community are great, but so are the challenges of balancing a household budget. But Rim Country residents can help the community for free, by making a donation to a qualifying charity and getting an Arizona tax credit.
“Arizona offers several tax credits that allow you to effectively redirect your tax money to local charitable organizations and reduce the taxes you’ll pay in April,” says Debra Daniels, managing CPA with Seely, Mullins and Associates, P.C., a Payson accounting firm.
“The Working Poor tax credit available is $200 for single, married filing separately, and head of household and $400 for married filing jointly,” said Daniels. “You do need to itemize deductions on your Arizona state income tax return, but you don’t have to itemize on your federal return.”
Taxpayers can therefore deduct from the taxes owed both $200 per person for the “working poor” charities — and another $200 per person for the Credit for Kids program for schools. This allows a couple filing jointly to decide where up to $800 of their state income tax payment goes.
The dollar-for-dollar charitable credit applies only for donations to qualifying Arizona charities (see list at end of story) and Credit for Kids. You can split your donation among more than one organization.
“For all of the credits, your contribution must be made by Dec. 31,” notes
notes Daniels. “Taxpayers should consult with their tax preparers to determine whether these tax credits apply in your situation.”
A list of qualifying charities for the credit is available at http://www.azdor.gov/TaxCredits.aspx.
Qualifying local organizations are listed alphabetically below, with Web sites where available. Many accept credit card donations by phone or online to save you time.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters, P.O. Box 2956, Payson, AZ 85547, (928) 468-8375, http://www.bbbs az.org. Donate by mail or online.
• Payson Area Habitat for Humanity, P.O. Box 1131, Payson, AZ 85547, (928) 474-0330, www.paysonhabitat.com. Donate by phone, mail, or online.
• Payson Christian Clinic, 701 S. Ponderosa, Ste. D, Payson, AZ 85541, (928) 468-2209, www.paysonchristianclinic.com. Donate by mail or online.
• Payson Community Kids, P.O. Box 1856, Payson, AZ 85547, (928) 478-7160, www.payson communitykids.org. Donate by mail.
• Payson Helping Payson, P.O. Box 231, Payson, AZ 85547, (928) 468-9028. Donate by mail.
• Payson Senior Center, 514 W. Main St., Payson, AZ 85541, (928) 474-4876, www.payson seniorcenter.org. Donate by mail, phone or online.
• Payson Area Food Drive (PAFD), managed by the Rim Country Rotary Foundation, P.O. Box 703, Payson, AZ 85547-0703, (928) 474-8276. Donate by mail.
• Payson Lions Charitable Foundation, P.O. Box 436, Payson, AZ 85547, (928) 474-2176. Donate by mail.
• Pine Strawberry Food Bank, P.O. Box 1534, Pine, AZ 85544, (928) 476-3579. Donate by mail.
• St. Vincent de Paul, 511 South St. Phillips St., Payson, AZ 85541, (928) 474-9104. Donate by mail.
• Time Out, Inc., P.O. Box 306, Payson, AZ 85547, (928) 472-8007, www.timeoutshelter.org. Donate by mail, phone or online.