The Manny Arguello-captained Benchwarmers overwhelmed Tonto Apache Recreation, 18-2, on June 14 for the Town of Payson Coed Softball League championship.
The win marked the fifth consecutive season the Benchwarmers have won the softball league crown.
Next on the town recreation agenda is the June 25 start of mens and womens slow-pitch softball league play. Registration ended June 11 and games begin June 25 on Rumsey I and II ball fields.
Newly appointed Payson High School football coach Graham Ellison is urging all prospective players to attend summer workout sessions in order to be prepared for the onset of the first day of pre-season July 30.
Weightlifting sessions are held from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. Monday through Thursday in the Wilson Dome weight room.
From 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., also four days a week, passing league and defensive practice sessions are held at the high school.
Also on the summer agenda is a passing camp July 16 to 20 and a football camp for players at all levels July 23 to 26.
The Horns debut Aug. 17 in a controlled scrimmage at PHS vs. Snowflake and open the season in earnest Aug. 24 against visiting Chino Valley.
Off-season in full swing
Lady Longhorn volleyball coach Arnold Stonebrink says the off-season volleyball program is up and running well.
He also reminds prospective players that participation in the program is the key to individual and team success next season.
So, the coach is urging all aspiring players to take full advantage of the offerings, which include:
• Now until July 12: Open Gym Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Wilson Dome, $10/summer.
• June 22-23: Blue Ridge tourney, taking three Payson teams, $20.
• June 25-27: All American Camp, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for 18-24 girls, $20.
• July 3rd week: Football camp meals (2), serving football players, fund-raiser.
• July 14: Florence tourney, taking three Payson teams, $15.
• July 21: Payson summer tourney, taking three Payson teams, $10.
• Aug. 1-3: Pre-tryout camp, 3:45 to 5:45 p.m., Wilson Dome and old gym, $5.
• Aug. 4: Payson alumni tourney, 6 to 8:30 p.m., Wilson Dome, free.
• Aug. 6-7: Tryouts, 3:45 p.m. frosh, 5 p.m. upperclassmen, Blue card.
• Aug. 8: Pledge drive meeting and packet handout.
• Aug. 31 through Sept. 1: Payson Invitational, 24 teams, Wilson Dome, old gym and RCMS gym.
For more information, call Stonebrink at (928) 474-2233.
A five-mile, moderately difficult group hike of Houston Loop Trail is planned for 8 a.m., Saturday, July 7.
A hike of Houston Trail to Flat Rock, two miles in length and moderately difficult, is scheduled for 8 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 11.
A program on watching wildlife is from 11 a.m. to noon, Saturday, July 14 at the parks office in Green Valley Park. The fee is $5. Contact Parks and Recreation for more details at (928) 474-5242, extension 7.