Toddler Dies: ‘A Grandparent’S Worst Nightmare’

Advertisement

A toddler died early Friday morning when officials say he rolled off a bed at his grandparents’ Star Valley home and got lodged between the mattress and footboard.

Paramedics tried briefly to revive Brendan, but believe he had passed hours before his grandmother discovered him, said Hellsgate Fire Chief Gary Hatch.

Brendan was reportedly visiting his grandparents for two weeks at their Star Valley home. Brendan, from the Valley, reportedly took turns visiting his grandparents, who are in their 40s, with his two other siblings.

After playing throughout the day, Brendan reportedly went into a guest room he had stayed in before and fell asleep around 9 p.m. on a bed, Hatch said.

The couple checked on Brendan, whose last name was not released, before going to sleep. Then just before 5 a.m., Brendan’s grandmother went into the room to put a blanket on the boy and saw he had rolled off and was not moving.

Hellsgate Fire Capt. John Wisner, who lives just down the road, heard the 911 call and was the first to arrive. Wisner briefly tried to revive the boy before paramedics took him outside and pronounced him dead at 5:15 a.m.

Hatch said it appears the boy suffocated sometime between midnight and 1 a.m.

The tragic event was purely accidental, Hatch said. Brendan had slept in the bed before and never had any issues. He was, however, known to roll in his sleep, and his parents would often have him sleep on the floor.

“He was just the cutest little kid,” Hatch said. “And the grandparents just idolized these kids. It is every grandparent’s worst nightmare.”

The heartbreaking event has affected the six firefighters on duty and the department will likely offer counseling, Hatch said.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.