Teen Passes Out After Using ‘Spice’


Just days after the Payson Town Council devised a law to ban the sale of synthetic drugs in town, a teen passed out in an automotive store Monday afternoon after smoking a marijuana-like drug.

The 19-year-old told emergency officials he had smoked “spice” for two hours Monday and was walking down the Beeline Highway when he started to feel sick. The teen threw up outside O’Reilly Auto Parts and reportedly went inside to get water.

As the teen walked through the store, he collapsed, one witness said. The witness said he asked the teen what was wrong and the teen replied it was that “One Stop (expletive).”

The witness asked if he meant “spice,” the teen said “yes” and passed out.

When firefighters on Engine 111 arrived, the teen was conscious and hungry.

The teen said he had smoked “spice” he bought from the One Stop Convenience Store, said PFD Captain Vince Palandri.

When medics told the teen they would need to take him to the hospital since he still had an elevated heart rate, the teen asked if he could get something to eat first, Palandri said.

At the hospital, nurses gave the teen soda, crackers and pudding cups to curb his appetite, Palandri said.

When firefighters left, it appeared the teen was doing better.

This isn’t the first time paramedics have seen someone have an adverse side effect to the synthetic drugs.

Roughly two weeks ago, a Gisela man admitted to smoking “spice” and drinking. As deputies drove the man to the Payson Jail on unrelated charges, he reportedly started “wigging out” and paramedics were called.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.