Beware Of Halloween Hazards For Your Pets

Advertisement

So, are all you parents and pet owners ready for Halloween? I know I am. I just decorated the house this weekend and Aiden is going to be an Army guy this year! We already have the neighborhoods where we will trick-or-treat in mind and we are ready to have some spooky fun and get some yummy candy.

Last year, I spoke about the importance of safety during Halloween for pet owners, and this year I’m doing it again. Whether your child is a furry, four-legged creature, or an active 4-year-old with a huge imagination, we all need to be prepared. Below I have listed six safety tips to help you be completely prepared for October 31st.

Chocolate. It is more poisonous to pets than any other candy. Chocolate contains methylxanthines, chemicals similar to caffeine, that can quickly sicken dogs. In general, the darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is. Symptoms in pets that have ingested chocolate include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or agitation, increased thirst, an elevated heart rate, and, in severe cases, seizures.

Candy. It’s hard enough for a human to stop at just one piece of candy, so imagine how difficult it is for a pet. Large ingestions of sugary, high-fat candy can lead to pancreatitis, which may not show up for two to four days after the pet ingests the candy. Pets that have ingested candy may show signs such as decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, and even kidney failure or organ damage.

Candy wrappers. The candy itself isn’t the only threat. Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can cause life-threatening bowel obstructions, which often require surgical intervention. Symptoms in pets that have ingested candy wrappers include vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate, or lethargy.

Raisins. While good-intentioned neighbors may hand out raisins as a healthy alternative to candy, very small amounts of raisins (or grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. Some dogs develop idiosyncratic reactions at any dose — in other words, ingesting any amount can cause serious damage. Pets that have ingested raisins may show signs like vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, and severe kidney failure.

Glow sticks and jewelry. Pets love to chew on things they’re not supposed to, and cats in particular seem to love these items. Over the past year, 70 percent of Pet Poison Hotline’s calls relating to glow sticks and jewelry involved cats. In addition to the choking hazard, the contents of glow sticks can cause pain and irritation in the mouth. Keep an eye out for mouth pain, as well as profuse drooling and foaming at the mouth.

Costumes. Though you may love the costume, does your pet? Some costumes can cause discomfort in pets, and any metallic beads, snaps, or other small pieces (particularly those made of zinc or lead) can result in serious poisoning if ingested. Finally, don’t ever dye or apply coloring to a pet’s fur, even if the dye is labeled non-toxic to humans. If you dress your pets in costumes, make sure it doesn’t impair the pets’ vision, movement, or air intake.

There you have it folks. Now you can carry on with your scary or fun activities and have peace of mind that your pets (and kids) will be protected.

October adoption special continues

Don’t forget to hurry down and take advantage of our awesome adoption specials now thru Oct. 31. Pull a piece of candy from our pumpkin and see what great price you get!

A huge thank-you to all our donors, supporters, adopters, volunteers and staff for making our Grand Opening a huge success!

Now, meet some of the adoptable pets available at our shelter, located at 605 W. Wilson Court, just south of Main Street and west of McLane Road. All pets have been spayed or neutered and are current on their vaccines.

AUTUMN

Autumn is an energetic, 10-month-old beauty. She loves people and is playful and friendly. She gets along OK with other cats, especially the ones who like to pat around the ball with her. Autumn is eager to find her loving, forever home. She is spayed and current on all vaccines.

DELTA 

Delta is a sweet, 2-year-old hound mix. She is a friendly girl with lots of love to give. She is playful, well mannered and gets along with everyone. She is potty trained, walks well on a leash and has been spayed and made current on her shots.

FOGHORN LEGHORN 

Foghorn Leghorn is an adorable orange male tabby kitten. Like most kittens, he is very playful and energetic. He loves to toss around a crumpled up piece of paper and can have fun with just about anything. He is good with other cats and is affectionate with people. Foghorn is neutered, litter box trained and current on his vaccinations.

CAGNEY

Cagney is one of the sweetest and softest cats we have. She may be an older cat, but she is still very loving and outgoing. She is front paw declawed and needs to be an indoor cat. Cagney gets along well with other cats and is great with people of all ages. She is spayed, current on shots and litter box trained.

PADME 

Padme is a 1-year-old black and white cat. She is super playful and outgoing, and loves to play with all kinds of toys. Padme gets along with most other cats, but wouldn’t mind being the only cat in the castle. She is spayed, up to date on vaccines and litter box trained as well.

SLICK 

Slick is a goofy, 2-year-old Terrier mix. How adorable is his face? Super adorable! Everyone here just loves his scruffy beard and his soft eyes. Slick is pretty active and would do best in a home where he will get plenty of love and exercise. He is neutered, friendly with other dogs and current on his shots.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.