Who Has Ever Shot Anyone In Self-Defense?

I’ve seen a lot of comments lately about all of us needing assault weapons to protect our homes. These comments made me wonder about it all ... I’m 67 years old, been a cop, been in the Army, lived in a lot of places and yet I have not met one person, other than veterans who have served in combat zones, who has personally shot anyone in self-defense ... at their homes or out in the public. Have you? Maybe all the energy being expended to scare our citizens about nothing would be better used in fund-raising for the indigent or even maybe helping tutor one of the 35 percent of our Payson High School students who is failing a class?

Think about it. Oh, and if I’m mistaken, please feel free to share your personal story about how you saved yourself or a family member by shooting a bad guy 50 times with your AR-15.

Ted Paulk

Comments

Kim Chittick 1 year, 8 months ago

Good grief, Mr. Paulk. You write quite well. As an English major, I will say that, for the most part, your spelling, grammar and punctuation are generally without error. I enjoy that aspect of your writings. However, your verbiage leads one to the impression that you are a sanctimonious, pompous, arrogant jerk.

While I do not agree with your political philosophy, I am generally able to read your writings with an open mind and recognize some valid points. However, other times, you make a valid point and then, as in this letter you've written, you've just got to close with a ridiculously snide comment.

Why is that sir? Can you not just state your opinion and give others something to think about without having to throw in a snide insult?

Your writings usually leave me with a bad feeling. As if I've just stepped in a steaming pile of...

Ed Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

Mr. Paulk, You and your aquaintances are very fortunate to have been spared the experience of using deadly force in self defense. A 15-year-old boy in Houston was not so lucky. He used an AR-15 (or as you would all it, an "assault rifle") to protect himself and his 12-year-old sister from two home intruders.

Pat Randall 1 year, 8 months ago

Ron Johns in Tonto Basin. Wasn't there a Mr. Fisher who killed someone out in the forest a few years back?

Ted Paulk 1 year, 8 months ago

Yep and Mr. Fisher went to prison for it. Similar to the Trayvon Marin case and the many ridiculous "stand your ground" cases before the courts right now.. Mr. Smith, My question was if you knew anyone "personally"; not something you saw on the news. There are shootings everyday but out of a population of 330 millilon here in the USA, that is bound to happen. No excuse for you to own an assault rifle. Kim, my "snide" remark is a slam against assault weapons; or was it the "slam" against our students having a 35% failure rate, as reported in the Payson Roundup that caused you pain?. Too bad about the bad feeling, I'm not addressing "feel good" topics. I am glad it gives you food for thought, however. Read my book, "Liberty and Justice for Some" if you want enlightenment. I just read in Vanity Fair where Sandra Day O'Conner was quoted as saying, "I do not see the need for a resident of the United States to own an assault weapon". God bless this intelligent lady.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 8 months ago

Interesting thing about Sandra Day O'Connor...she rarely goes anywhere without a HUGE, ARMED bodyguard. Yes, I have seen ths personally, with my own eyes. Seriously Teddy, do you honestly believe that I would give one moments consideration, let alone effort, to acquire or read a book that YOU wrote?? Not in this Conservative Libertarians lifetime!!

don evans 1 year, 8 months ago

What Mr. Paulk and other socialist liberals don't like to hear. That there are still people (in sufficient numbers) who believe that their own government is slowly eroding their individual rights. What they can't accomplish through referendum, they accomplish through a like minded activist judiciary. A confrontational momentum is building, and that scares them. If issues such as oppressive gun control, immigration amnesty, homosexuality as a government sanctioned protected class, and confiscatory financial policy's, will be the catalyst of the reaction. It's coming in my opinion. You can be prepared, or you can be consumed by the collective zealots.

Donald Cline 1 year, 8 months ago

Tell me, Ted: Would you like to have the "rational conversation about guns in this country" you folks are always whining about? Or are you like so many of the other people Vladimir Lenin called "useful idiots" who merely parrot the Party line and cut and run when they encounter someone who knows the game they are playing? Or are you one of the Party apparatchniks running a stable of "useful idiots," perhaps? Or, offering the benefit of the doubt, are you just one of those folks who really don't know what you are talking about , and have glommed onto the cause celebre du jour?

You've doubtless read my letters in response to yours and others of your strange mindset, so you know I can discuss the subject knowledgeably and politely. Can you? If so, I'll be your huckleberry: Hie yourself over to my letter "We Are Free" and make a comment. Tell us all what is wrong with the position I describe there. Or failing that, tell us all why you think the citizens of a free country -- ours, the only free country on the planet -- should not have the power in the last resort to keep it free. I'll be waiting. I'll expect civil discourse and I will offer the same.

Donald Cline 1 year, 8 months ago

BTW, Ted: You may be interested to know that there have been three incidents in the last month in which homeowners or their children defended their homes from home invasion by multiple armed assailants, and they did it with AR-15-pattern rifles. In two of the cases the defenders were female children, and thankfully they did not find it necessary to fire because the perps "unassed the AO" as soon as they saw the armed defender. This goes a long way to dispelling the myth that children don't have enough maturity or sense of restraint to be armed. In the third case the defender was an adult male home owner, and two of the invaders wound up dead and two were wounded. Sounds like an excellent reason to be armed with what you and the lying media call "assault weapons," but in fact are semi-auto lookalikes.

chris hansel 1 year, 8 months ago

Ted, better late than never. You make excellent points. As most sane people know, more guns equals more deaths. Worldwide and U.S. stats tell us that over and over again. Our NRA hired hands, like Gosar ,and Flake, would rather see more children die than pass reasonable background checks for the mentally unbalanced. It's easier to buy a gun than a pack of cigarettes in this state. Arizona has some of the loosest gun control laws in the nation, and one of the highest firearm death rates. You can do the math.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 7 months ago

Aaaah Chris, I must accept because I see it in black and white, that you really said, "Our NRA hired hands, like Gosar ,and Flake, would rather see more children die than pass reasonable background checks for the mentally unbalanced", but truly??? Your comment makes ZERO sense.

I have said in other posts, I have neither the time not the inclination to do the detailed research required; however, I would be willing to bet that most of the shootings that have occurred, were not carried out by the legal, registered owner of the gun. People who are mentally imbalanced do not typically have the mental acuity to go through the background check required to legally purchase a gun.

Correct me if I am wrong, (although, I am safe in offering that option, as I know that I am not) the weapons used in the Sandy Hook massacre? They did not belong to the shooter. He STOLE them from his mother's gun safe.

To the best of my knowledge, no information has been released regarding the origination of the guns used by the Boston bombers, however, I can state with impunity that the guns were not legally obtained, as the older brother had an arrest for domestic violence on his record.

"Reasonable background checks"?? Obummer and his ilk, want more comprehensive background checks for gun purchases so as to ascertain where exactly the guns are; by whom they are owned; and how many and what type.

The problem, my dear Chris? Is that "reasonable background checks" will only affect law abiding citizens. Bad guys, gang bangers, convicted felons, they will still continue to purchase their guns in back alley's and dark rooms, with the only information being handed over being a handful of green paper.

YOU do the math, honey.