Residents Want Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Payson Fire Department still offering dozens of the free, life-saving devices

Advertisement

After a carbon monoxide alarm installed by the Payson Fire Department recently saved a family, residents have inundated the department seeking a free, installed detector.

The department will install 36 smoke/car­bon monoxide detectors, but has dozens more available. The PFD received the alarms as part of a $32,000 federal grant earlier this year, for which then-fire marshal Bob Lockhart had applied. Starting in March, firefighters went door-to-door in low- to moderate-income neighborhoods offering free installation of the alarms. While they had some success, requests for alarms skyrocketed after a Dec. 10 Roundup article detailing a family’s survival in early December.

On Dec. 7, the CO detector in a family’s home on West Bridle Path Lane went off. Firefighters discovered the home’s furnace fan had seized, but continued to turn releasing carbon monoxide into the home.

Luckily, just a few weeks earlier, Payson firefighters had installed a CO detector in the home and the family survived uninjured.

With so many homeowners requesting a detector now, firefighters say it has created a scheduling crunch.

Still, they are happy to get the alarms out into homes.

Call the PFD at (928) 474-5242 ext. 300 to request an alarm.

On a related note, the department last week placed four new cardiac monitors on its fire trucks.

The PPD purchased the Zoll X-Series cardiac monitors thanks to a 2012 federal Assistance to Firefighters (AFG) grant totaling $137,800.

“Not only do these cardiac monitors give our members increased capability in diagnosis and treatment of patients with cardiovascular and respiratory compromise, they also monitor carbon monoxide,” one firefighter said. “While we already had the capability to diagnose CO with existing tools, they were separate pieces of equipment that weren’t applied to every patient.”

With the new cardiac monitors, every patient will automatically be assessed for carbon monoxide poisoning.

“This is a huge improvement over what just a few years ago was a blood test that had to be done in a hospital to check for carbon monoxide,” he said.

Beth Beck, town grant writer and former Fire Chief Marty deMasi applied for the grant.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.