Fire Chars Garage, Apartment

Responding to its first fire of the year, the Christopher-Kohl’s Fire Department put out a garage fire Saturday morning.

Responding to its first fire of the year, the Christopher-Kohl’s Fire Department put out a garage fire Saturday morning.

Advertisement

Responding to its first fire of the year, the Christopher-Kohl’s Fire Department put out a garage fire Saturday morning.

While the large, metal, two-bay garage is a total loss, firefighters kept the flames from spreading to the forest and nearby home and even managed to save a few keepsakes.

Fire Chief Rob Jarvis said homeowner Larkin Palmer called in the blaze after noticing smoke and flames coming from the detached garage about 6:30 a.m.

The detached garage, in the 4000 block of North Colcord Cove, had a small apartment in the rear of the south bay where the family had lived while building the main house. No longer occupied, the family still kept several mementos, including a hope chest and photo albums inside.

Firefighters saved those items, but not the garage or ATV inside, Jarvis said.

Palmer estimated the building and its contents at $150,000.

Jarvis said it is unclear what started the fire, but they believe it was accidental.

A vehicle battery charger in the garage could have sparked the blaze, but it is too early to tell, he said. No one was injured and Hellsgate Fire Department assisted.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.