Firefighters Snuff Out Chimney Fire

Photo by Andy Towle. |

Advertisement

photo

Firefighters quickly contained a chimney fire at a Tonto Village home Thursday afternoon, keeping damage to the rest of the home at a minimum.

The six people inside the home at the time didn’t realize a fire had started in the chimney. Fortunately, a neighbor alerted them to flames coming from the top of the chimney, said Hellsgate Battalion Chief Dave Bathke.

Arriving firefighters found flames and smoke coming from the chimney, in the 100 block of Standage Drive.

The fire had spread to the eaves and behind the fireplace insert, but crews knocked it down. They used a chain saw to reach fire in the soffit, he said.

Crews spent several hours on scene. No one was injured. Bathke believes creosote had built up in the fireplace.

He estimated damage at $25,000.

In addition to Hellsgate, Christopher-Kohl’s Fire Department also responded.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.