Fire officials say two house fires in the last two days illustrate the importance of smoke detectors.
In the first fire, a mother and her five children escaped injury Sunday when a fire started on the kitchen stovetop.
Officials said the family is lucky the fire happened during the day when everyone was awake because there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
In the second fire, smoke alarms likely saved a singlewide trailer home from going up in flames. Although no one was home, neighbors heard the home’s smoke alarms and called for help, said Payson Fire Battalion Chief Dan Bramble.
“These fires illustrate two important things, he said.
“No. 1, how important smoke detectors are and No. 2, why we have fire codes and officials to enforce them,” he said.
Officials suspect an electrical panel is likely the culprit of the fire in the trailer.
About 7 p.m. Monday, neighbors heard smoke detectors in the home sounding and called the home’s owner. When firefighters arrived, they found light smoke in the home, Bramble said.
Firefighters found a small fire in an electrical subpanel in a back bedroom.The fire was quickly contained to the panel, but the home, in the 200 block of East Aero, will need electrical repairs before anyone can move back in, he said.
On Sunday, the Red Cross helped a mother and her five children after a kitchen fire temporarily put them out of their home.
The woman was reportedly boiling water on the stove to clean the home, in the 400 block of West Main Street, when the electric stovetop started smoking, said Payson Fire Chief Marty deMasi.
The cabinets in the site-built home quickly caught fire along with debris around the stovetop.
The mother tried to contain the flames by throwing baking powder on the stove, but when that did nothing, she led her five children out of the home and called for help, deMasi said.
The fire engine stationed just down the street at Station 11, 400 W. Main St., was in another part of town and so it took just a little longer than normal to get there, he said.