Arizona’s potential for future prosperity is enormous if our leaders are bold, focused, courageous and collaborative.
Together, let’s accentuate our strengths to usher in a new era of innovative thinking and unbridled prosperity.
Arizona is a state with stunning landscapes, fantastic weather, and unique resources — a state teeming with robust entrepreneurial energy and exciting possibilities.
It is home to visionaries like retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, Senator Carl Hayden (father of the Central Arizona Project), architect Frank Lloyd Wright, labor union leader César Chávez and astronomer Percival Lowell.
Whether in business, education, research, or government, compelling leaders like Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, Mesa Mayor Scott Smith and ASU President Dr. Michael Crow forge ahead with pioneering spirits and progressive agendas that foster positive changes for our state and communities.
Exciting things are happening in Arizona that make us proud:
• Solar Energy. The Arizona Corporation Commission set a Renewable Portfolio Standard to require the state to increase its renewable energy by 2025. The implications are huge for Arizona’s economy, workforce and national stature.
• Interstate 11. The development of I-11 will create a trade corridor from Mexico to Canada that enhances our state’s economic vitality and competitiveness.
• Entrepreneurship. Arizona State University’s W.P. Carey School of Business is launching a Business Entrepreneurship degree that recognizes the valuable contributions of entrepreneurs to business growth and innovation.
• Rim Country Educational Alliance. This group is working to bring a university to Payson, increasing the state’s education opportunities.
• Imagine Greater Tucson. Southern Arizona leaders and residents came together to support this initiative. Their community’s willingness to take action that shapes a better future is an example for all of us.
I’m done listening to the national media negatives and outsiders defining who we are as Arizonans. Aren’t you? We must take charge of our identity and our message.
Let’s spread the word: Arizona is the “Digital Desert” and “Commerce Corridor.” It’s the place to live, learn, and thrive in a friendly business environment.
Can’t you imagine other states in awe of our progressive strategies and scrambling to copy our template for success? We have the ability to make that a reality with unified, collaborative efforts and functional bi-partisan politics. Let’s unleash our combined creativity and talents.
As we begin the New Year, let’s remember to celebrate what is right with Arizona, our communities and each other.