Close The Forest And Campgrounds

Advertisement

Editor:

We all know the fire danger in the area is extreme. The slightest spark, from any source, can start a forest fire. There are signs all around the area stating, “No shooting in the forest,” “No smoking in the forest except in your car,” “No campfires”— 98 percent of people will heed these restrictions. It’s the remaining 2 percent that we have to worry about. You can have 10 times — or even 50 times — the number of patrolling park rangers we have and some people will still do whatever they please.

I usually don’t ask dumb or stupid questions, but these are some I have to ask.

Why are the forests and campgrounds still open?

Why are the entrances not securely blocked with forest rangers and, if necessary, sheriff’s deputies?

Why do we have to wait until there is a fire to impose these restrictions? Or did everyone forget the Dude Fire of 1990?

Some people associated with the Forest Service are thinking, the rains are coming soon and this will reduce the danger. Why do we wait until then? Why do we all have to be on the edge of our seats until that time?

There’s not much we can do about Mother Nature, but we can reduce or eliminate the risk of human-caused fires by closing the campgrounds and forest. If this inconveniences a few campers, so be it. Just think how many people will be inconvenienced if their houses or businesses burn. Close the forest and campgrounds now!

Bob Graziano

Comments

Meria Heller 9 months, 1 week ago

I wholeheartedly agree. Waiting for the fire seems rather stupid given we've had zero rain in 4 months

0

Ronald Hamric 9 months, 1 week ago

A few thoughts on this thread.

First, the Dude Fire originated via a dry lightening strike, not some careless camper or smoker .

Secondly, the Forests belong to everyone, even those who do not by choice choose to live in this potentially hazardous interface., Unless you are a transplant of recent, then you have come to know that the anxiety and apprehension is an annual experience. That we are in a prolonged drought goes without saying, but by and large, each year we experience this dry spell that runs from around the end of May until the monsoons kick in at about mid-July.

Thirdly, again unless you are fairly new to this region, you appreciate that many local businesses are adversely affected each time the US Forest Service closes the forest to entry. Ask any of the small businesses that support your standard of living and quality of life.

So in summary, get used to this type if weather cycle and do not expect that because you chose to make your home in the forest, that somehow gives you the right to dictate to everyone else when, or when not they may avail themselves of these national treasures. As with so many things in America, for the majority to enjoy their freedoms, we are loathe to accept that a minority of our fellow citizens cannot be expected to act responsibly or rationally. But that does not mean we crawl into a corner and hide from fear of the results of those irresponsible behaviors. We measure our risks, and prepare for the worst case scenario and live our lives the best we can. Those who would sacrifice some of their freedoms for a little security, deserve neither.

1

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.