Residents Can Voice Their Opinion In A Recall

This is my response to the article “Pine Strawberry water problems must be addressed” by Ray Pugel.

Why would I have to meet you at all? To get your approval first? This superior attitude is just another example of the PSWID board behavior that they know what’s best for us. PSWID has proven that it’s not been working for the best interest of the Pine-Strawberry community when they ignore many strongly voiced opinions.

It seems to me that you didn’t have a problem organizing a recall for the prior board when the sale of your Milk Ranch Well was being threatened, so we shouldn’t have a problem recalling the current board when our financial well-being is being threatened.

You asked for suggestions as to how to reduce costs, but when one of the board members wanted to make suggestions that could have saved money, you didn’t listen to him. Why would anyone think that you really want to hear anything from the rest of us?

You and Gary Lovetro have never been voted in by the Pine-Strawberry community (just assigned by the PSWID board) and a recall would give the community a chance to really voice their opinion about your leadership.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb [with the facts] contesting the vote!” – Benjamin Franklin

Sue Green

Comments

Ronald Hamric 9 months, 1 week ago

Ms. Green, Since you very obviously have all the solutions/methodologies pertinent to the issues confronting the PSWID board, then you are cordially invited to do more than simply criticize from afar....stand for office!

Sue Green 9 months ago

I have never said that I had all the answers/solutions. The board should be listening and responding to the wishes of people of the Pine Strawberry community and treat each and every board member with respect. When I listen to the recordings, that is NOT the case.

Ronald Hamric 9 months ago

Ms. Green, I know you think I was being snarky, but I wasn't. I'd vote for you or Bernice Winandy in a heartbeat . Either of you knows much or has as much experience with managing a water system as anyone currently serving on the board

Pat Randall 9 months, 1 week ago

There should be open meetings where anyone that has an interest in PSWID can stand up and give their opinions. Don't attack each other, attack the problem. If you don't like the board, have a recall. If you don't go to the meetings then keep your mouth shut out on the street. I read and post on here because I own a house in Pine. Had the water disconnected long ago. So I really don't care what you do. At the rate you are going with the problems, I won't be around to use the water if you ever get it settled. It has been a joke listening to grown people bicker like 5 year old kids. Do any of you know the water laws of Ariz? Do any know how to run a legal meeting? Anyone ever read Roberts Rules on how it is done?

Deb Schwalm 9 months ago

Pat, are you up on the PSWID board history. Former Chairman, Gary Lovetro (now Vice Chairman) voted Roberts Rules OUT. My I remind you that you are part of these discussions (bickering like 5 yr old kids). There are very different definitions and interpretations of "attack" when it comes to making observations or suggestions. One persons suggestion is another person's attack. Arizona Statues are about as clear as the muddy water running through the pipes of Pine Strawberry.

Ronald Hamric 9 months, 1 week ago

Pat, As usual you went right to the heart of the issue. Those of us up here fought to get local control of our most necessary water resources. Having accomplished that ,thru a very contentious acquisition debate, we find ourselves now in charge with little experience or understanding of just how to manage a water utility. We formed/elected a "board" of community volunteers to oversee the management of the system. They hired consultants and managers. They began the process of addressing many of the problems inherited from decades of little or no maintenance or accessing new sources of supply. From there it has gone down hill. Don't know if it can be attributed to personalities, pure malfeasance, or just simple lack of ability. As you've pointed out, more time and effort is wasted on these attacks back and forth, and although some progress has been made, we are still far away from where we want to be. Just like getting the overgrown forest back to it's more proper condition, this water issue is fraught with disagreement, personal agendas, and outright personality conflicts. I see little to be pleased with as regards either situation.

Pam Mason 9 months, 1 week ago

Pat, the meetings are not generally well attended and those of us that do go behave professionally and are very even toned in our questions. Actually we had been limited to one question and one question only by a previous chair. At the Budget Meeting some of us did speak up but as the newspaper noted the audience was very well behaved. The Board made the decision not to follow Roberts Rules a while ago, it is noted in their minutes several times. The PSWID lawyer is at every meeting but although he does not speak unless asked a question by the board, I would imagine his being present is a safety net for the board. A while back you mentioned that the audience can ask for an item to be placed on the agenda, I'm afraid that does not happen. Filing out FOI forms and getting copies of documents is how we have got some of our information.

Mr. Hamric, I feel that the resignation of Bill Haney, Tetra Tech and Mike Ploughe was the start of the slide downhill. I don't particularly relish the meetings but feel an obligation as a member of the public to go to most meetings and witness the decisions made good and bad. I can offer an opinion but no one is obligated to agree with me.

Bernice Winandy 9 months ago

I don't like what is happening.

PSWID Board members should start listening to the public. If they are not willing to listen they should resign for the good of the community.

I notice economist.com is on ghe agenda for the next PSWID Board meeting. Are they the ones who made financial predictions before? How accurate were those predictions?

Bernice Winandy 9 months ago

Yes, now I remember. I believe economist.com was the outfit involved, maybe 5 - 8 yrs ago when Ray Pugel and a developer were trying to convince the community to purchase Brooke Utilities. They could not get community support.

Should be an interesting meeting.

Deb Schwalm 9 months ago

There are recordings and sometimes Video recordings of the meetings are available for factual recall and for those not attending the meetings. If I didn't attend, I listen to the meetings online at waterforpinestrawberry.com. If you have ever attended a meeting, your stomach is in knots at the end. Take your Tums, if you're planning on going.

Deb Schwalm 9 months ago

Yep, needed the Tums after last nights meeting. Filmed Video and will have ready within one week.

Pat Randall 9 months ago

Deb, I don't get on here often, but I do have the right to state an opinion even if I didn't own a house in Pine. Go to the Arizona Dept. of Environmental Quality Water Quality data Unit, 5415B 1110 west Washington street Phoenix, Ariz. 85007 See what they have to say about testing water wells, storage tanks, lines etc.

Go to Arizona Dept of water resources for other information.

Pat Randall 9 months ago

I had the name and address of ADEQ on 4 lines but the computer decided to run it all together. Sorry about that.