Kids Playing With Lighter Start Couch Fire

Advertisement

Two boys set a couch on fire and nearly their home Sunday night while playing with a lighter, according to fire officials.

The brothers, ages 8 and 9 years old, were reportedly playing with a lighter in their manufactured home’s living room about 10 p.m. when the sofa caught fire, said Payson Fire Battalion Chief Tom Fife.

The boys and their mother threw water on the flames, but when that didn’t work they left the home in the 600 block of South Hill Street and called for help.

A neighbor put out the fire with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived, Fife said.

It is a good reminder to keep lighters and matches out of reach of children and to have a working fire extinguisher in the home, Fife said.

“It is fortunate none of them got burned.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.