Water Board Ignores Users

An elected governmental board of directors whether unpaid or paid has an obligation to act in accordance with the expressed wishes of the public.

At the recent PSWID Budget/Rate Hearing, person after person quietly and respectfully expressed reasons why the PSWID proposed budget and water rates should not be adopted. With little regard for the public statements the PSWID board voted to adopt the proposed budget.

PSWID water users and taxpayers having no other choice will tighten their belts and pay the higher taxes and water rates.

However, PSWID waters users and taxpayers should not lose sight of the $7.5 million bond that is included in the approved budget. This bond would just about double the water district’s debt to about $15 million. PSWID by its own admission has no idea how much this bond will cost, what the interest would be, etc. They have not made clear whether property taxes or water revenue will be used to pay the bond. They have not explained exactly how this money will be spent. In my opinion, they have approved the bond with no plan in place. With this approval, we, the taxpayers and water users, are left dangling with no idea of how future water rates and property taxes will be affected.

Before doubling debt to $15 million, PSWID must have a plan that is fully explained to the public. Most importantly, they must ask the public to agree to accept the additional debt.

Bernice E. Winandy

Comments

Deb Schwalm 10 months, 1 week ago

Not only did PSWID ignore the budget side of the hearing but an issue was brought up about Mike Greer, Ex-treasurer still working for PSWID in a different capacity - as a water tank diver to clean the tanks. Knowing that Mike Greer is under investigation, PSWID is shooting themselves in the foot by keeping Mike involved. Rumor is that Gary Lovetro, V. Chairman is the ringleader in keeping Mike Greer connected with PSWID. The issue brought up at the hearing was an OFFICIAL REQUEST for an explanation from the PSWID board as to Mike Greer's employment/contracted status and request for an AGENDA ITEM added to the next July PSWID meeting for a complete explanation. Common sense tells PSWID that this action is not prudent. But then, how many other decisions they have made that have exercised unwise judgement and turning their backs at the wishes of the Pine Strawberry residents

robbin flowers 10 months, 1 week ago

Are there any Saint Judges in Payson? If so, legal action is required here. I will be happy to operate as a free consultant to any Saint Attorney. I can easily prepare briefs, with the right information. My badges are not current, but I do have considerable experience as an "Legal Consultant." "Badges, Badges, I don't need no stinking Badges!" (Sorry, I just love this line from, Blazing Saddles;)

robbin flowers 10 months, 1 week ago

If I had an inkling that funny business was going on around my well and water supply, I would be most vigilant. I would set up game cameras and would hang out by that area and my friends and I would picnic and observe. Once something is contaminated, it wouldn't be difficult to make it worse. In fact, what are they doing to make it better? Are they running the water constantly or is it sitting stagnant in a tank? Is the water being tested every hour or every day. What hydrological studies have been done in the area? When was the last one done? I researched the water at the Tonto National Bridge about two years ago, it is a very interesting place, and there is comprehensive water data available. I will find the name of the very helpful individual at the Arizona Parks Department. I will see what he can e-mail me and I will give you this information.

Deb Schwalm 10 months, 1 week ago

Robbin, if you ask the RIGHT questions when requesting information at the PSWID office in Pine, you can mostly get what you ask for. However, by policy, the PSWID suggests that information is available during their hours of operation which is really not true. If Becky goes home early with the keys (supposedly the only set), you're out of luck. Sometimes, to get access to sensitive information, one has to ask "to look" at the specific files instead of asking "for copies" right away. It's a really an incredibly aberrated system and very very political. I had a personal friend go in to the office to pay his bill the other day. He made a negative comment about the recent budget hearing and someone in the office slammed the door in a back office. Really don't know who that was but how childish is that?

robbin flowers 10 months, 1 week ago

Deb, Will they allow you to look at their budget, current and past?

Deb Schwalm 10 months, 1 week ago

try http://pswid.org/ and then select FINANCIALS. That should give you some info.However, I feel it is not detailed enough. There are many people upset about the Lawyer present at every meeting and we'd like to know what's he paid for one year. I have been told that I would need to go to each month of the past year to add that up instead of it being broken out on the yearly budget.

robbin flowers 10 months, 1 week ago

Deb, I remember that Tom did some looking into this budget, but I don't know where it is on these blogs. Also, will they allow you to see their financials, current and past? Do they have any information on the Bond specifics? Do the current Board members have any conflicts of interest?

Deb Schwalm 10 months, 1 week ago

They will allow anything posted on the website. I'm not sure about going further than that. As I mentioned, you should be able to go into the office and request to "look at or review" what you wish and then ask for copies rather than the other way around.

Deb Schwalm 10 months, 1 week ago

Also, it seems from the past that the definition of "conflict of interest" varies. I BELIEVE there is a conflict of interest with a Realtor Developer being on the PSWID Board. The Chairman directly benefits from actions taken but try to prove it.

Pam Mason 10 months, 1 week ago

Robbin,

A study was done it is called MRWRMS

You might find it interesting.

Will send main link and then supplemental report link

If links don't work try searching with MRWMS Payson Arizona