Check Facts Before You Speak

While I can appreciate the difficult challenge for the editor to fact check letters submitted to the Roundup, I wish to address some major inaccuracies in the letter from Raymond Spatti published on Oct. 22.

Mr. Spatti’s letter contained two substantial allegations that need to be corrected.

First, he claimed that Representative Brenda Barton was a member the Arizona state Legislature and participated in the development and passage of SB 1070. The governor signed the bill into law on April 21, 2010. Representative Barton was sworn into office the following year in January 2011.

Mr. Spatti further states; “Adding insult to injury, Ms. Barton does not even live in Gila County.” Representative Barton has been a legal resident of Gila County since 2011 and currently lives in Payson.

Like many caught in today’s economy, the Bartons have been unable to sell their property in another county.

I rightfully respect first amendment rights of free speech of all persons submitting letters to the editor. However, I would ask writers to be sure of their facts to ensure credibility to what they speak.

Gary Morris, chairman, Gila County Republican Party

Comments

Ted Paulk 1 year, 1 month ago

I am curious as to what real estate agent M. Barton has her home in Safford listed with.

Donald Cline 1 year, 1 month ago

Doesn't matter, Ted. If she lives in Payson she can circulate a petition to be placed on the ballot in Gila County, specifically northern Gila County. All she needs is a driver's license or water bill.

Rex Hinshaw 1 year, 1 month ago

Ted, Who she has as her real-estate agent is none of your business.

Nancy Volz 1 year, 1 month ago

Just look her up on the county website then check Trulia or Realtor dot com. If you guys spent more time thinking instead of...but I digress.

Rex Hinshaw 1 year, 1 month ago

Nancy, What possible business is it to Ted who's her agent? Unless he wants to buy her property. My origional statement stands. And by the way...I was thinking when I said it was none of his business. Just because you can access information on people now on the internet....does not make it right.

Nancy Volz 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't know...what possible business is it to Ted? Why don't you ask Ted? He said he was "curious." I merely pointed out a way to discover the answer. "Just because you can access information on people now on the internet....does not make it right." It is PUBLIC RECORD. Wherever the agent has the property listed, online or in a newspaper, it is available to the PUBLIC. Not a right or wrong issue, Rex.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 1 month ago

Sorry, Nancy, it IS a right or wrong issue. And, it is wrong! Just because something is available on the internet or is PUBLIC RECORD (your emphasis, not mine) does not mean that it is relevant to a certain issue. What realtor has Barton's house listed is absolutely, totally and completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I suspect that Mr. Paulk just wants to know so as to stir up his usual nonsense. Whomever the realtor may be, accepted the listing in good faith and does not deserve to have his or her business or reputation maligned simply because Mr. Paulk has far too much time on his hands.

Nancy Volz 1 year, 1 month ago

Kim, read the thread again. Please. Read what I wrote in response to the guy's one liner. If he wants to know, I gave him a way to find out that is - again - public record. There is no discussion required, no right or wrong to it.