The Payson Walmart closed Saturday afternoon after a fire broke out in an electrical box in the back of the store, but has since reopened.
The store reopened late Monday afternoon.
An associate reportedly caught the fire before it could spread and attacked it with a dry chemical fire extinguisher, according to the Payson Fire Department.
The fire happened about 3 p.m. Saturday and all customers were evacuated safely.
Payson Fire said the store reopened Monday with half running on APS power and the other half powered by generator.
A fire spokesperson said the store was waiting on a part for the electrical box before fully rejoining the grid.
Sales associates posted outside the store Sunday afternoon filled in customers on what had happened as they drove through the empty parking lot, a rare sight for one of the busiest store’s in town.
One sales associate said while the store had closed to customers, workers continued stocking shelves inside.
The electrical box sits outside in the back of the supercenter.
A Payson firefighter said the associate’s quick actions kept the fire from growing.
The Payson store manager would not comment on the closure and referred the Roundup to Walmart’s corporate office.
In an unrelated incident, a motorist reportedly drove a Chevrolet Suburban into a handicap sign post Sunday afternoon just outside Walmart’s south entrance.
The driver reportedly hit the acceleration pedal by accident and slammed into the post, leaving the vehicle inoperable. The store was closed at the time due to the electrical fire.