Marijuana Store A Bad Idea

I watched with dismay the opening of the medical marijuana distributorship on Tonto Road here in Payson. I am fully aware of the fact that there are chemicals within the marijuana that are beneficial to the treatment of chronic pain and helpful to persons suffering from certain types of cancers. I do not feel that the way the product is being dispensed is the manner in which it should be handled. I feel that it should be given to a person who has been checked over by an accredited doctor and used on the premises.

I know of several people who spent approximately 20 minutes with a “marijuana doctor” while he came up with a name for the ailment they claimed and issued them a card to purchase the product. It’s quite simple — you pay the doctor $150 and another $150 to the state and you’re in business — smoke up!

I feel that allowing the “patient” to purchase the herb and leave with it is going to lead to the product being resold, quite possibly to the high school students that are located just 1,000 feet from the “pot store.”

And finally, why is it allowed that the managers can position a person with a sign on a street corner to advertise the sale of the product. Payson’s always been a great place to visit or live, we don’t need to share the restaurants, stores and schools with a bunch of “stoned” individuals and we sure don’t need it in the schools!

Don Tash

Comments

Ted Paulk 7 months, 1 week ago

Oh so sad! The voters or Arizona voted to legalize medical marijuana two years ago...a conststitional right! Since then pretty much every polititian and tea bagger Conservative including attorney general tom horne and the maricopa county attorney have tried to thwart tthe will of the people!! You want no gun laws concerning back ground checks which 90% of Americans want, claiming 2nd amendment rights, but you want to step on the rights of voters who said LEGALIZE MEDICAL MARIJUANA. Do you not see what a HYPOCRITE YOU ARE? Look in the mirror and come into the 21st Century!!!

Patricia Johnson 7 months, 1 week ago

Mr. Paulk: Again, I must ask why you persist in using the objectionable term "tea bagger" when you know it is offensive, homophobic and vulgar?

Rex Hinshaw 7 months ago

Pat, That is because he is...offensive , homophobic, and vulger. I almost agreed with his first statement, then.... I hope this "piece of work" runs for mayor...he will then have to come out in the public and debate. He will be bringing a knife to a gun fight....just a phrase.

Ed Smith 7 months ago

Medical marijuana was approved by AZ voters way back in 1996 by a 2-1 margin via Proposition 200.

Meria Heller 7 months, 1 week ago

Get a grip. Kids have been able to buy marijuana forever. Have pity on the sick that benefit from it instead of the deadly pharmaceuticals which are legal. Do some research before being a hater. One day it may be the only thing that helps you.

Nancy Volz 7 months ago

"One day it may be the only thing that helps you." Exactly. My sister in law's mother was on morphine for 15 years for her excruciating pain. I saw her at a grand niece's birthday party in April and could not believe she was the same person. Who is to say what works for one cannot for another?

don evans 7 months, 1 week ago

Yeah dude, toke up and look in the mirror. You might see somebody else looking back at you. Why heck, they might even talk to you. Like Mr. Paulk above. Dude, he wants to be the next Payson Mayor. He said on here his friends are begging him to run. That would be awesome dude. Maybe he would pass a town law so we can all toke it up at Town Hall meetings and really get some cosmic things done. I got my card after I told them I have sleepless nights some times. Got to go medicate now dude, I feel a buzz coming on for sure......peace

Pat Randall 7 months, 1 week ago

In my opinion I think most of the people with so called medical cards used marijuana for other purposes before it became a legal pain 'medicine'. Seems there is a fine line between legal and illegal. Why wasn't the law passed that medical drs. wrote a prescription for it and it be sold at real licensed pharmacys.?

Why don't we legalize alcohol and tobacco products for everyone, no matter their age? If you drink enough alcohol you won't feel pain.

Mr. Paulk 90% of Americans don't want background checks for guns. The criminals won't have background checks but they will still have guns.

Pat Randall 7 months, 1 week ago

Patricia, What is wrong with the term, tea bagger? Do you know what he means when he uses it?

Patricia Johnson 7 months ago

Pat: The term "Teabagger" refers to a sexual act involving oral and genital stimulation. You can Google it if you need further explanation.

Nancy Volz 7 months ago

Heavens! No one would have known had you not told us! We all believed "teabagger" meant a member of the tea party! I'll warrant that 99.9% of people still believe that.

Ronald Hamric 7 months ago

Nancy, That term has been used by the progressive/socialists almost from the inception of the Tea Party. That the Tea Party scares the pants off them is evident by their visceral attacks on that group. Those that throw that term out only display their personal character, or lack of it. There are apt names for those folks as well but then we would only be lowering ourselves into their gutter to use them.

Ed Smith 7 months, 1 week ago

'There ought to be a law...'
The six most dangerous words threatening individual sovereignty and personal responsibility.

David Matthews 7 months ago

"Medical Marijuana" is a rip off. Bogus doctors and the government are the first in line to skim off their take. Then the so called "caregivers". At the bottom of the list is the customer (patient)., paying outrageous prices for some cutely named weed that actually isn't that great. The best path for marijuana is to de-criminalize it, not legalize it. Then, some old-timer could grow a couple plants in his backyard and partake as God intended. No phoney crap grown in a can full of chemicals!

Pat Randall 7 months ago

Nancy Volz, We must live in a different world than Patricia Johnson. I was shocked when I read what she wrote about Tea baggers. I had the same thought about it as you. Maybe her definition came from when she was using marijuana for her illness. A lot of words have taken on a different meaning. Grass to me is still a nice green lawn. Gay is happy. I could go on but I think you get my drift of different definitions of words to different people.

Nancy Volz 6 months, 4 weeks ago

We do live in different worlds, Pat. I believe in medical marijuana use. The "don't knock it till you've tried it" thing. Whatever works! I am not a member of, nor would ever be a member of, "the Tea Party." Or any other party, for that matter. Independence is good! I don't care what others want to do as long as they are decent human beings and I'd wager many people think they don't know any gay people...guess again, folks. But, yes, I do get your drift.

Pat Randall 7 months ago

I noticed the words edit on my last post. I did not say anything wrong, only stating an opinion. There are much worse things posted all the time.

Rex Hinshaw 7 months ago

Pat and Nancy, Pat Johnson's explanation of the term "teabagger" is correct. It has NOTHING to do with marijuiana. It was used by liberals to insult the "Tea Party" during the last election. The reason that it was used was because the "hip,young,liberal" voters knew the meaning. It is a derogatory slur for a group that liberals hate.That is why Mr. Paulk uses it regularly.

Patricia Johnson 7 months ago

Thank you, Rex. I now believe that this kind of name calling is the only ammunition left for some on this forum. It completely eliminates the possibility of intelligent and thoughtful discourse. This is so sad and pathetic.

Nancy Volz 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I know that "teabagger" has nothing to do with pot. Don't know where you got the idea the terms were connected. Liberals may have used the term to insult Tea Party members at the last election, but Conservatives and Moderates and everyone else all had their own terms of insult for those with a different point of view, too.
Ignore the name-calling. It is so much healthier.