Wanting To Deny Food To Children Deplorable

The vote taken by one of the Payson School Board members in denying our less fortunate school children food is certainly deplorable.

To make the assumption that low income families are not worthy of assistance to ensure that their children have, at least, one well-rounded meal a day showns the Confederate (Tea) Party’s lack of compassion.

Many families who participate in the food program must be truly offended by the suggestion that they are “enabling parents” and are on drugs, etc.

Maybe the board member is the one who needs counseling.

Paul R. Gonnerman, Lt. Col. USAFB, retired

Comments

Ted Paulk 3 months, 4 weeks ago

God bless the good people of Payson who care for our children. You curmudgeons waiting in the wings...too bad.

dropsofjupiterlol 3 months, 4 weeks ago

If you notice, she is the same board member that chastises the local schools for trying to be "above average"... How do these people manage to become board members? I am a hard-working mother who works 40 hours a week and after I pay my house PMT, inflated property taxes, car insurance, homeowners insurance, trash pick up, sewer, electricity...YES my children qualify for free lunch...we don't even have luxuries such as cable TV or internet service. Oh, and I do not drink, do drugs or even date (my husband died in 2005) All I want to know is who Mrs Dye backs in the election so that I can vote against them.

Laurel Wala 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Mu husband, Devin Wala, serves on the PUSD school board. I have to tell you that it is a volunteer position and he does not earn a single penny for all the time that he spends serving as a school board member.

Donald Cline 3 months, 3 weeks ago

LTC Gonnerman, you swore (or affirmed, if you are an atheist) to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. That Constitution says, in Amendment 10, that if the power is not delegated to the federal government nor prohibited to the States, only the States or the people have it, not the federal government. Perhaps you can point out to me where in the Constitution the government is authorized to pay out money for charity? Perhaps you can explain to me where you get off advocating government robbery under color of law to pay for charity government has no authority to provide? If you want to pay for children lunches out of your own pocket, you can call that charity; if you believe government should undertake robbery under color of law -- i.e., engage in the tyranny of mandating what we pay in charity, how much, and to whom, that is not charity: That is advocating a rogue occupation government you are sworn to oppose. Why are you perjuring your oath of office, sir?

Ted Paulk 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Say Donald, do the words "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" ring a bell? When's the last time you two missed a meal...You are so sad...I am amazed your families will let you post such venom.

Donald Cline 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Yes, they do. Why are you advocating the total destruction of all three, both for the population as a whole and for those children, who, like you, will probably never amount to a hill of beans as a result of their own efforts? It's no wonder the U.S. economy is in the crapper with people like you demanding gimme gimme gimme without producing anything of value. Let me put it to you this way, Ted: If you feel so compassionate about those poor allegedly starving children then donate to them. Stop demanding everyone else be robbed at the point of a gun so that a small percentage of the loot can be fed to them while the majority is scraped off the top by your politicians. Charity begins at home; what you advocate is robbery and tyranny.

Pat Randall 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Ted, I am surprised you haven't been banned for all the name calling and personal insults.

Donald Cline 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I am too. But maybe they take pity on him, since it is all he's got.