Not All Poverty Is Drug And Alcohol Related

I could not believe what I read regarding the article “Just absentee brain-wise” — Payson School Board member Shirley Dye blasting parents.

I do not know where Shirley Dye gets her beliefs. I do not understand such uncompassion.

I myself grew up in poverty. My father departed at age 6. My mother raised us three children. She worked for the school district as a cafeteria worker. If it were not for the free lunch program, I’m convinced we would have starved.

I don’t think this federal program was “enabling” my mother as Shirley Dye put it.

She did not need to go to the 12-step program since she did not drink. Even the Bible says in Proverbs 30 to give drink to a person, to allow them to forget their poverty. I am in no way encouraging anyone to do such a thing for fear of it becoming an addiction. Perhaps it would have helped my mother to cope as life was so hard.

She died of cancer at the age of 49, but I believe she died of a broken heart. Being surrounded by people such as Shirley Dye who do not understand poverty.

I think it is ironic that the school board is pleading for a yes vote on the override. They ask, how can they budget on $1.2 million?

How do you think a mother of three children who works for KFC, Walmart, Carl’s Jr. etc, can make a budget? Do not her children come home from school with a list asking the parents to buy for the classroom? How do you think she feels with such demands? Can she budget that in?

She may not be able to get full-time work, or any, with the recession.

I believe she would like to see her children involved with sports or outside activities? How does that get paid for?

I believe she would like to see her children grow to be successful in life.

The truth is, the poor are oppressed and getting poorer.

Compassion needs to rise to the occasion and stop finger pointing.

I agree it would benefit Payson for Shirley Dye to resign.

Diana Holmes

Comments

Robbin Flowers 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Diana, I agree, that is the least she could do after all the damage she has caused to the towns people and the children who are now suffering directly as a result of her actions, words and deeds. Incompetence and mismanagement is what she has to offer, and this lowly mentality of hers has no place in such a position that she is holding. I am glad that she is a good bag stuffer though, how kind of her!

Ronald Hamric 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Robin,

Seems you have jumped on the bandwagon along with so many of the others. If you have a solution to the issue Mrs. Dye was pointing to in her statements, then please take it to Washington DC and I'm sure they will anoint you some kind of cabinet position. Are you truly in favor of fraud and abuse of all these programs targeted at the truly needy amoung us? Would seem so. Is that perhaps because you are benefititing from it? See how false/ignorant accusations come back. If you can think so ill of Mrs. Dye for her attempt to draw attention to the issue, then it seems just as fair if someone questions your motives as well. Project much?

Ronald Hamric 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Ms. Holmes,

It seems you and many others responded to Mrs. Dye based on her inferrance as opposed to the issues to which she was alluding. If you haven't read the article on the link I posted previously, then do yourself a favor and read it. It is pretty much a summary of what Mrs. Dye was trying to bring to the attention of people. Here is the link for your edification: :http://educationnext.org/fraud-in-the-lunchroom/.

Those who know Mrs Dye and no one else I have seen respond to this issue, want to deny aid to those that are truly in need. I think you would be one of the first to support enforcement of any fraud that is taking place in the program if it meant that those truly in need were going without because someone who wasn't qualified for the benefit, was availing themselves of it just because they can. I think most agree that there are very needy folks/kids out there that need help, for a variety of reasons and circumstances. But you have to be truly blind to not have been noting all the reports of fraud and abuse that has been taking place in these types of programs, ie. EBT cards, School Lunch Programs, Social Security Disability Benefits, Unemployment benefits. MediCare/MedicAid. It was that circumstance Mrs. Dye was illuding to and which so many, such as yourself seem to have totally ignored and jumped to the conclusion that she and others have "no compassion". You are clearly and flatly wrong on that count. Try to set your emotions aside for just a moment and look into what is really going on. Have a nice day.

Pat Randall 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Diana and Robbin, what have you contributed to helping the poverty stricken people? As for the parents getting the lists to buy supplies is a bunch of crap. When I and my kids were in school the only thing bought by us was pencils and a note book and paper. If we needed Kleenex or snacks we didn't have to buy them at the beginning of the school year for everyone. We are supposed to have a free education until we get to high school. In the first place kids do not need calculators in the first grade. No wonder the stores have cash registers to tell how much change to give a customer and then they can't count it back to you. Just hand you a wad of money. They aren't even being taught to write, only print. I agree with everything Ronald has put on here.

Ted Paulk 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Pat, when you were in school, you used a shoulder blade and a piece of coal:) I was thinking about what you wrote earlier about not knowing any poor kids when you were attending school...wasn't the Tonto Apache tribe living on the south end of town in hovels? Did your wonderful and caring friends and family offer them so much support that they were not "poor"? Just curious...a history buff.

Ronald Hamric 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Can't read eh Mel? Or is it that your comprehension skills are sorely lacking?

Ted Paulk 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Pat, Ron, and Donnie...have you not noticed yet, as the rest of us have, that you three, plus a couple of others occasionally, keep beating the same dead horse on each and EVERY issue that has to do with throwing a little help toward our less fortunate citizens? Kind of elitist don't you think? Naw, you don't have clue, do you? What is it now with all this wringing of hands about "fraud" in the school lunch program. You THREE assume a whole lot and yet you come with no valid evidence of this fraud...reminds me of Ben Ghazi on FOX...don't 'cha know...:)

Ronald Hamric 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Robin,

"But how is selling off public property for a fraction of the cost going to help solve these problems?" I've seen some "Red Herrings" in my day, but you just took the cake. What may I ask, does THAT have to do with the discussion at hand? Zip, nada, nothing!

Robbin Flowers 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Ronald, If a group of people in this area sold public school property in violation of the AZ state constitution and actually ended up costing the public school children (thousands of them) millions of dollars, as a result, the system doesn't have enough resources to pay for their basic education, how is that not part of this conversation? How does this effect the quality of the cafeteria nutrition? ((Side note: Does every action have a equal and opposite reaction?)) The Tea Party (as directed by Koch heads) has been replicating this same scenario all over the USA. This misuse of the commons is fracturing the constitution.

Gary Austin 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow, a 1.2 million dollar budget. How will we ever cover that? By way of comparison, a single patriot missile costs 2.6 million dollars. We fired thousands of them in the first Gulf War. What are the results of firing a patriot missile. The destruction of a target and often infrastructure and people whose families become so incensed and devastated that they hate the United States and join terrorist groups. Another way to look at it is to consider that it costs around $25,000 per year to incarcerate someone in prison in Arizona. So our prison system exceeds that 1.2 million dollar school budget to incarcerate 48 people for one year who may have dared to smoke pot in a free country. We presently have over 40,000 people in prison in Arizona, which is one out of every 162 people. The US in fact has 2.2 million people in prison right now. Our next closest competitor, China, the human rights violators, has 1.7 and their population is just a bit bigger than ours. The point is that spending money on schools or the economically disadvantaged pales in comparison to other things we spend money on. It would be much more sensible to focus on reducing spending in some of these other areas.

Robbin Flowers 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Gary, That is some social engineering going on, how did this pure insanity become so pervasive? It was intentionally socially engineered by the ruling class in the answer. Do we want to be ruled by Kings or Queens? Do we want to continue to be serfs to the Multi-National Corporate Monarchies?

And, here we are just a community of people who are concerned about feeing children and dialoguing for the best way to accomplish this very worthy endeavor.