Attack On Barton A Mistake

The recent letter headlined “Rep. Brenda Barton’s mythology continues” in the Payson Roundup is a prime example of the misunderstanding about the Constitution of the United States and its history. As stated in the letter, “These radical positions advocated by the Tea Party [We The People] proponents like Barton are based on ignorance and a willingness to override the will of the citizens,” referring to the state’s legislators choosing and sending senators to Washington to represent the state and the citizens thereof. Sir, do you not know the harm the XVII Amendment did by nullifying Article I, Section 3 and thus removing important input on state issues to be relayed by the people to the federal government through their elected state legislators and then senators? Yes, elected representatives. Yes, “the people at large.”

Your assertion that Representative Barton is ignorant and radical and violating the Constitution is false. She, as I, is as concerned for the future of this great country, as you should be.

Should you decide to take the progressive blinders off and learn the truth, take a look at Article V of the Constitution and the impact of a Convention of States would have. Try to comprehend how important this is to the course of this country.

Tyranny or liberty?

It is our choice.

“I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” — Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

Paul Pristo

Comments

Mel Mevis 2 months, 1 week ago

If she is so good where are the roads, good schools, fire protection, and a thousand other thing ........

Stop raising false false flags ...... bring home some bacon ....... not hot air.

H. Wm. Rhea III 2 months, 1 week ago

I'm glad this letter to the editor was published because it's true! It's always funny how the Roundup and most liberals talk about the Constitution, but don't know anything contained in it.

Mel Mevis 2 months, 1 week ago

Really ...........

Just love how some people are able to wrap themselves in the flag of patriotism, and then make statements they has no knowledge about.

Love of country and form of goverment are not one size fits all.

Personally I feel the greatest threat to our freedom comes from the radical right. Attacks on freedom of religion, voter suppression, freedom to negotiate wages, a failure to want to move to a fair tax on ALL.

H. Wm. Rhea III 2 months, 1 week ago

I see the "radical" right as the only group wanting to hold to the Constitution. I also see the communist and socialist left in our country calling people names like "Radical" for standing up for what's right. And if you want to talk about the Constitution, Mr. Mevis, perhaps you ought to read it first, then maybe you would realize that the statements you're making are not in support of it, but against it. And as for the flag, I bleed red, white and blue! I'm also willing to bet that most of us "radicals" here have spent some time in the military defending that flag and Constitution - maybe even yourself. Does that make you a radical?

Ted Paulk 2 months, 1 week ago

Rhea, you sound like Joseph McCarthy reincarnated..."Communists and socialists"? They ain't here no more dude...come out of the 1950's and develop some love for the poor folks who aren't as lucky as you fat cat teabaggers!!!

Ronald Hamric 2 months, 1 week ago

Mr. Mevis,

How do feel about a "flat tax"? You know, a tax that everyone pays according to what they spend. You Leftists have opposed that approach every time it is proposed, simply because it would require EVERYONE to pay according to their state of wealth. Just as your great ACA, the current approach is a disincentive for anyone to actually work and support themselves. Does socialism sound familiar?

Mel Mevis 2 months, 1 week ago

Ron

I all for a flat tax ........ but as long as we have a minimum wage and limit individuals from forming unions a counter is needed ......... I guess the best name is a maximum wage, above this wages are taxed at say 90% on anything over say $5 million.

I don't want to argue the past histories of organized labor, but unions in their purest form are nothing more that a business that leases or sells labor. Businesses and the left have demonized, and tried to make illegal a basic component of free enterprise.

Step away from the constitution a second and look at people as humans, we are not far removed form tribes/clans and are wired for these small social units. If you look at this structure you will find a lot of social interactions that resemble "socialism" ....... People who are go it alone usually are not successful. Just another way of looking at who we are.