Can you feel it? There is an ever so slight change in the weather. I noticed it Monday evening as I was sitting in my yard by my herb garden. It’s nothing you can put a finger on exactly, maybe the wind direction, the humidity, or? It made just a very small difference. I’m hoping that it means an earlier monsoon condition. RAIN!!!
I was listening to the radio on Tuesday morning and Stephanie Landers reported that Apache-Sitgreaves and Coconino national forests have made changes and closed parts of the forest because of extremely dry conditions. Can Tonto National Forest be far behind?
According to a Bear Flat resident who monitors the precipitation levels every year, the area is now 7 inches behind in rainfall. The Tonto Creek is very low and the Tonto Fish Hatchery is only releasing trout in the largest watering holes.
Hellsgate Fire Department
The fire board meeting that was supposed to be held June 11 was postponed because of a lack of a quorum. I did not receive the word in time to change it in last week’s column. The meeting has now been scheduled for Wednesday, June 18 at the Star Valley Fire Station starting at 5:30 p.m. The public is always welcome to attend.
The Hellsgate Fireflies will be holding a work session on Friday, June 13 at the Tonto Village station #22. The session will begin at 6:30 p.m. to finalize plans for the attendance of the Fireflies at the Bashas’ Food Fair on Saturday, June 14. Not only will the Fireflies be selling Hellsgate T-shirts and caps, but also the Fireflies cookbook for only $10. There will also be a limited number of commemorative T-shirts in honor of the fallen firefighter, Bobby Mollere for $15. A few goodies will also be available that you can pick up and take with you as you tour all the booths at the food fair.
Tonto Village I residents, Grant and Marie Coley will celebrate their 49th wedding anniversary on June 18. What a milestone for them. I would think that next year the celebration will be the biggest! Happy anniversary to you both, and may every tomorrow be twice as sunny and sweet as all the days that have passed. On June 21, Tonto Village II resident, Stephanie Morris will add another candle to her birthday cake. Have a wonderful birthday, Stephanie.
Another reminder ... Saturday June 14 is officially Flag Day. Please fly the stars and stripes and show your patriotism for the United States of America.
Since the summer is barbecue time, and barbecuing is the only type of cooking a real man will do. When a man says, “Hey, let’s have a barbecue tonight. I’ll cook and you can relax!”
This is what happens ...
- The man goes out to the patio, grabs a beer, and begins to prepare the grill.
- The woman goes to the store and buys all the vegetables, meat, paper plates, and so on.
- The woman washes and chops the vegetables, fixes the salad, and prepares the vegetables and side dishes and dessert.
- The man sits down with another beer, lights the grill and observes it for a while to make sure it’s working.
- The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along the necessary cooking utensils, and takes it to the man, who is lounging beside the grill, making sure it stays lit.
- The man ceremoniously places the meat on the grill.
- The woman goes inside to get the plates ready and check the vegetables.
- The man double-checks the beer cooler and has another one. The woman comes back out to remind the man that the meat is burning.
- The man takes the meat off the grill and hands it to the woman.
- The woman prepares the plates and brings them to the table.
- After eating, the woman clears the table, disposes of the trash and does the dishes.
- The man grabs a beer and goes inside to watch the game.
- The woman goes back outside and turns off the grill.
- The man asks the woman how she enjoyed her night off. Upon see her annoyed reaction, he concludes that there’s just no pleasing some women!