Kenny Evans Wants To Continue As Payson’S Mayor

by Kenny Evans, Mayor of Payson

Once again Payson has an opportunity to discuss the issues we face and direction the community would like to go as we hold our 2014 elections. I welcome that opportunity for voter direction.

It is hard to run for public office and I am not offended, but pleased, that voters will have a choice this year. It’s good that Payson has folks who are willing to step forward. I look forward to local candidates clearly articulating their position so voters can make an informed choice. That is as it ought to be.

This social experiment we call America emerged from good ideas made great. They became great not by conflicts decided by military or financial might, but by compromise born of reason and empowered by consensus. Unfortunately much of today’s social media has turned terms like “consensus and compromise” into political poison pills.

Enduring greatness does not emerge from singleness of thought, but by embracing differences. It was true for our Founding Fathers and it is true today. It is by recognizing and learning from our differences that true hope for the future evolves.

Civil discussion and debate illuminated by public discourse is the way to lasting progress. It produced this great nation. It can produce a great community.

The seeds of greatness were planted by those Founding Fathers’ passionate debates. Communities, as well, make our greatest progress based on consensus forged from public discussion, civil debate and prudent compromise.

As your mayor, I wish I had the capacity to do more; to help more; to fix more. Many restless nights have been spent pondering about what more could have been done. It hurts when a business closes or another foreclosure sign pops up ... or there is one more infernal Forest Service delay. Yet even though I understand that out of the ashes of failure, dreams can emerge; it still tugs at my heart strings. I yearn for a better tomorrow.

Sound commerce and individual responsibility must be the cornerstones on which we build. I am thrilled to see the new businesses that are opening around town. The sound of construction crews and heavy equipment annoys some (some even call to complain) — but it is music to my ears as business activity finally returns. New businesses are coming to town. Current businesses are expanding or remodeling. New homes and subdivisions are under design and construction.

These positive changes are a welcome relief after this long, devastating recession, but they are only the beginning as we open the next chapter for Payson.

The seeds have been planted. We see a new level of cooperation and respect between the Town and the Tonto Apache Tribe; between the towns of Payson and Star Valley; between the Town and the school district; between the Town and the community college; between Payson and Gila County and the stat ... and even the feds! It is refreshing to watch how working together, side-by-side, we see benefits accruing to our community and all of Northern Gila County.

Hope for a better tomorrow coupled with the need to continue cultivating our progress has led me, after much reflection, to offer to continue to serve as your mayor if you voters so chose.

Comments

Pat Randall 7 months, 1 week ago

As the kids would say, Liar, liar, pants on fire. Seems I remember this person said on the first election he would run for one term and no more. Where are all the great things that were going to be done? It looks to me like there is a different business closing every week. The highway going north and south is beginning to look like a ghost town. Of course we do now have marijuana reference places, drs. to suggest them and a place to buy it. What an accomplishment.
A college that was going to start classes in 2013. I have missed it driving around town. The most construction type work I have seen is at the event center.

Kim Chittick 7 months, 1 week ago

I'm afraid that I too am disappointed in Mayor Evans. We have previously met and interacted several times. However, last weekend, I joined a group of 3 people with whom he was speaking, and I did not get so much as a hello, a handshake, a smile, or an acknowledgement that he recognized or remembered me. Kenny then asked the group if they were willing to sign his petition for Mayor. 2 of the people do not live in Payson, and I explained that my husband and I were unable to sign his as we had already signed Randy Roberson's. Kenny clamped his lips together, glared at me, turned around and walked away without another word to any in our group. A good politician would have smiled and thanked us for being willing to participate in the political process in any way, shape, or form.

Now, the signing of a petition is not a commitment to vote either way. It is simply acknowledging that the signer believes in our political process and hopes for a good dialog and exchange of ideas. However, after that display by Kenny, I am certain that he lost several potential votes which were undecided. Kenny had the opportunity to discuss with each of us our concerns, answer questions and share his vision with us. Instead, he behaved like a pouty child who has been told that the other kids don't want to play with him. He had an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive, or at the very least, into an even balance, he chose instead to disregard all in our group and eliminate the opportunity he had been given to "politic" to us.

Poor showing Mayor Evans, extremely poor showing!

Pat Randall 7 months, 1 week ago

He made a poor showing with me the first time around. It was printed in the paper as a direct quote from me "I was going to make his life miserable." I had never met the man. Went to the paper to get a retraction and was told it was a direct quote. Said I wanted to hear the recording and was told the reporters did not use recorders. Took notes. My saying is." Don't get mad, get even." He said he would only run one time. HAA

Kim Chittick 7 months, 1 week ago

Well, Pat, I am the kind of person who puts a lot of stock in a man's word; as well as how a man treats those who can do nothing for him. Kenny Evans failed both benchmarks in my eyes.

Pat Randall 7 months, 1 week ago

I think he has failed in a lot of things he was going to do. Just an opinion.

Pat Randall 7 months, 1 week ago

He has done a good job of showing up for something if a camera person is near. What part did he have in a park in Star Valley? They have a mayor to take care of things there. We need one in Payson.

Kim Chittick 7 months, 1 week ago

Ha!! Pat, the event that I was speaking about? Where he showed up to try and get signatures for his petition? It was our CORVETTE show at Chapman! And he made it a point to ask me how many of the people at the show were local...in other words, how many local people owned Corvettes. Pathetic!!

Pat Randall 7 months, 1 week ago

Kim, Remember there is another candidate for Mayor.

Kim Chittick 7 months ago

Oh Pat, I know that well!! I helped circulate Randy Roberson's petition. Randy is a man for whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration. He truly loves this town and walks his talk!

As for the Council, I have thrown all of my support behind Charlene Creach Brown, Chris Higgins, and Bob Lockhart, candidates for the 3 vacant council seats. It is time for change!!!