Mildred (Millie) Conn Winter
1921 - 2009
Mildred (Millie) Conn Winter passed from this life at her home in Payson on Friday, Aug. 14, 2009. She was born Dec. 1, 1921 in Lancaster, Ky. She lived in Lancaster until she graduated from high school. Her family then moved to Louisville, Ky. After attending business school, Millie was employed in administrative support of the war effort during World War II; and she later helped in her husband’s, James D. Winter’s, law practice as his administrative assistant.
Millie and Jim Winter met each other at a young adult group meeting at Fourth Avenue Presbyterian Church in Louisville following World War II. On June 7, 1948 she and Jim Winter were married in Louisville by Pastor David Winter, Jim’s grandfather. They recently celebrated their 61st anniversary. She and Jim had three children, David, Elizabeth and Kathryn.
In the course of Jim’s career, the family moved to Fairborn, Ohio and finally to Phoenix, Ariz. Upon Jim’s retirement, Millie and Jim moved to Payson, where they have lived for the past 16 years.
Throughout her life, Millie was active in church women’s groups, cancer support groups and in choir. Millie had a beautiful voice, and singing was an important part of her life. Millie was a member of Mount Cross Lutheran Church, where she sang in the choir through April of this year. Millie and Jim enjoyed camping, hiking, and travel. In the course of their travels, they visited all 50 of the United States, as well as 58 countries around the world.
Millie is survived by her husband Jim, daughter Elizabeth Winter-Martin (Al Martin), daughter Kathryn Whittaker (Scott Whittaker), granddaughter Jessica Crozier (Brett), grandson Geoffrey Whittaker, great-granddaughter Emma Margaret Crozier, great-grandson Mason James Crozier, and her last remaining sister Kathryn Conn O’Neill.
A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 at Mount Cross Lutheran Church, 601 E. Highway 260, with reception following. The family asks that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Mount Cross Lutheran Church building fund toward garden enhancement.