Photo detail

A rather different headstone is that of J.G. Clayton, a candy maker
who was born in 1849 and died in 1928. Anna Mae Deming remembers
that the candy shop was in the first Payson Womans Club building.
She can recall Mr. Clayton kneading fondant candy on a big, marble
slab. He also spread his taffy to cool on this slab. When he died,
his friends thought it only befitting that the big piece of marble
become his headstone. His grave is located near the west gate of
Payson Pioneer Cemetery.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.