February 10, 2010
This is the original Payson ranger station and outbuildings from 1907.
Stories this photo appears in:
The Story of Payson, Arizona -Chapter 36
A close relationship between forest rangers and the people of Payson existed from March of 1907 when the Tonto National Forest was established. The ranger’s station and house, along with a barn for horses and mules, were the center for the Payson Administrative District, and the first ranger assigned here was Fletcher Beard, a cowboy turned forest ranger.