May 19, 2010
Archive photo of the town sawmill.
Stories this photo appears in:
Chapter 42: The Sawmill Brought Employment
In 1951, the Owens family located their sawmill in the old Pieper Meadow at the east end of town. At least folks were still calling it Pieper’s Meadow, even though Mrs. Pieper sold the acreage to the Hathaways after she was widowed. The meadow was an open area leading down from Main Street to the American Gulch.