Photo detail

Ash and debris are all that remain of an unattached garage on McKamey St. Alert neighbors saved the day with their quick, life saving response. All at once, Shirley said her training with the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) flooded back and she started yelling ‘Fire!’ as she ran down the block.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

Neighbors save couple from fire

Elderly couple saved from early morning fire

A garage engulfed in flames early Sunday morning prompted neighbors and firefighters to jump to action. What they did surprised even them, with one woman ripping open a locked door and a firefighter battling through a broken ankle. At about 12:20 a.m., Andi Shirley was just about to fall asleep when she heard a blood-curdling cry from her niece Suanne Clyne. Clyne, 26, was working in the kitchen when she saw a blaze outside a neighbor’s home three doors down.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.