Photo detail


The first car came to Payson in 1916, but by 1918, as evidenced above, there were enough in town to create an arena for the August rodeo.

Stories this photo appears in:

First car in town in 1916; lined Main in 1918

Walter Lovelady recalled that Jesse “Jess” Chilson brought the first car into Payson in 1916. It was a Marmon and was considered the “Cadillac” of the day. Jess drove his car up the Apache Trail from Phoenix, across Roosevelt Dam and followed the road along the south side of Roosevelt Lake that had been used by freighters during the building of the dam.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.