There are now eight confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Gila County.
Over the weekend, health officials said two Globe residents had tested positive, bringing the total number of Globe residents with coronavirus to four. Four Payson residents have also tested positive.
On Friday, the Gila County Public Health Department said the fourth positive case of COVID-19 in the Town of Payson was a male in his 40s. That same day, they said the third positive case in Globe was a female in her 50s.
On Sunday, officials posted that there was a fourth case in Globe, but did not list any details.
The Roundup contacted the health department office in Globe and was told they will no longer disclose the age or sex of those testing positive. The Roundup has requested an interview with Michael O’Driscoll, director of Gila County Health and Emergency Management, to discuss reporting methods.
• CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies)
• COVID-19 is widespread in Arizona with cases now in all 15 counties.
• The Gila County Call Center is now open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 928-402-8888 for information, resources and guidance.
• COVID-19 Hotline call 2-1-1 is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day of the week.
The best way to prevent COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases is to:
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.