The Gila County Public Health Department has confirmed its first positive case of COVID-19 in the county.
A Payson woman in her 40s tested positive last week. The case appears to be travel-related and there is no evidence of community spread, officials said in a press release.
The threat to the community appears to be low, as the woman has predominantly self-isolated since the beginning of symptoms, officials say. Local public health disease investigators are investigating the case and close contacts.
The best way to prevent COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases is to:
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.