You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
Peter Aleshire / USFWS photo  

Jim Strogen (right) collects bugs on Tonto Creek with a net, including caddisfly, mayfly nymphs and dragonfly nymphs. The nymphs eventually turn into dragonflys. Anglers like to fish with the larva.

Stolen motorcycles recovered at Grand Prix

A Valley couple is thanking the community for helping them recover two stolen motorcycles Saturday.

Bree Yates and her family were camped at the Payson Event Center for the Arizona Off-Road Promotions Payson Grand Prix when they woke Saturday morning to find two of their dirt bikes missing — just hours before their son Ryder was scheduled to ride.

“We had an 8-year-old whose heart was just broken,” Bree said.

The San Tan family had arrived in Payson Thursday night for the event, which they had attended before.

When they went to bed Friday, they forgot to lock up their two kid-size dirt bikes.

When they woke up and saw the bikes were gone, Bree said they thought they would never see them again.

They posted a picture of the missing bikes on the AZOP Facebook page, contacted police and posted on several other community Facebook pages.

The posts were quickly shared several hundred times on Facebook. A Payson police officer came by for information and returned within 20 minutes with a lead.

A Payson resident had seen one of the Facebook posts and spotted what they thought were the stolen bikes in their neighbor’s yard some two miles from the event center.

Sure enough, when police went to the home the bikes were lying in the front yard.

It appears the thieves never started the bikes and they were in working order.

Just 20 minutes before the 9 a.m. race, the family had the bikes back and Ryder raced his KTM 50 cc bike, taking third place.

“(Ryder) was so happy it brings tears to my eyes,” she said.

Bree said her husband Ryan and his father have raced motorbikes for years. As soon as Ryder could walk he was also on a bike.

Bree said she is so thankful for the help from the community and police.

“The whole community is amazing,” she said.

Police are still investigating. No arrests have been made, said Police Chief Don Engler.

Part 4 in a series on suicide
John's Story: An unexpected diagnosis of suicide

When John Schuderer’s son Noel died at 27, he didn’t think it was by suicide.

“Noel had recently been diagnosed with Behcet’s disease,” said John, “a rare condition that’s similar to lupus and, depending on the individual patient, can cause inflammation of the blood vessels and internal organs.”

There is no cure for Behcet’s disease, just treatments to alleviate the numerous and often debilitating symptoms.

“Noel had been an extremely active and athletic young man,” said John. “He wanted to see the world. At 25, he and his girlfriend saved up and went to Israel. They stayed on a kibbutz, traveled around the Middle East and wound up in Thailand.”

Each place Noel traveled, he found work and saved enough money for the next adventure. In Thailand, he earned his master diver certificate and led scuba diving tours around the island. He traveled for two years.

“From there he went to Taiwan and was teaching English,” said John. “While he was there he had another girlfriend and didn’t find out until just before he died that she had become pregnant, but miscarried.”

While he was overseas, two of his grandparents died.

Now nearly 20 years later, John still wonders what went wrong.

He knows somewhere along the line, Noel developed financial issues. He became depressed and started abusing substances.

As a mental health and substance abuse counselor, John had been through training on suicide and suicidal behavior.

“Although I was trained as a mental health counselor and worked in this capacity for a number of years, when it came to my own son, Noel, I missed all the signs until it was too late.”

Losses, including the divorce of his parents when he was 8, and the reality of his health diagnosis began to catch up with him, his father says.

“The loss of his physical stamina was almost certainly very distressing to him,” said John. “He was always physically active, loved hiking, rock climbing and sky diving.”

After two years traveling, Noel returned home.

“He spent time visiting friends he hadn’t seen in two years, shared his travels and photographs,” John said. “The night before Noel died he had been out visiting friends. I was on the computer. Noel came home. On my way to bed I knocked on his door and said, ‘I love you son.’ Noel replied, ‘I love you too.’”

Those were the last words they said to each other.

John had a long day at work the next day.

“I got home around 9 p.m., saw the light on Noel’s nightstand was on, went into his room and found him.”

John called 911. They said to check Noel’s pulse. He didn’t have one.

Emergency personnel came, but there was nothing they could do to revive him. John’s wife was in Washington, D.C. attending an education conference. He called a friend.

“I remember the police officers and others kept asking me questions and maybe I’d get an answer out,” said John. “Noel’s biological mother and stepdad arrived and wanted to see Noel’s body before it was moved.”

John and his family were not able to reach their pastor, so the police chaplain was called.

Noel’s body was removed and they were left alone.

“I spent the night at a friend’s home so I wouldn’t be alone.”

John’s wife came back the following day.

“It was not until the memorial service that I started to hear about things that would have raised red flags had I known what was going on,” he said.

“Friends of Noel’s said that when he visited them he was giving his things away,” said John. “He tried to give me his 35mm camera he had since the seventh grade, said it was because it was heavy and he wanted to get a new digital camera. I didn’t think anything of it at the time.”

After the service, “that’s when it all started to hit me.”

An autopsy was performed.

Two and a half months later, the results revealed a green liquid in Noel’s system, the equivalent of 300 pills. Noel died from diphenhydramine poisoning (an active ingredient in many sleep aids and antihistamines).

His death was ruled a suicide.

Up until the autopsy results, John and his family thought the disease had killed him. John couldn’t believe the test results.

“Whatever spiritual healing had occurred in the two and a half months since Noel died went out the window.”

Trying to make sense

“The question that drives people crazy is the constant ‘why’ — why did this happen?” said John.

“After his death, I felt I was in a time warp. Everything was very slow and the rest of the world seemed to be zipping along. I wanted to say, ‘Don’t you realize what has happened? My son is dead!’ It wasn’t anger at the world so much as disappointment.

“It didn’t make sense he would choose to die by suicide.”

Researchers say people often blame themselves for not preventing a suicide.

John wondered why he hadn’t seen the signs.

“I felt a lot of guilt and shame. Eventually I came to grips with the fact that it was Noel’s decision, it wasn’t anything I did or didn’t do.

“Because of my training, I promised myself I would experience each and every emotion that came up and not fight them,” said John. “Experience them in the healthiest way possible so the emotions would not destroy me.”

John felt angry and depressed. A song on the radio could trigger him, sending him in a downward spiral.

John started a memorial website, which went live on the first anniversary of Noel’s death.

“Guys especially have to do something to manage their grief, for women it’s more social, emotional and interactive. Often, if men don’t do something to let the energy out it will consume them.”

Last year, almost 18 years since Noel’s death, as John was driving through Jerome he swore he saw Noel walking down the street.

“For a split second I thought ‘Oh my God ...’ but of course it wasn’t. So, 18 years later there is still a hole in my heart, I’ve just had to learn to live with it and not let it destroy me.”

John has retired from the mental health field.

Since Noel’s death, he has dedicated himself to suicide education and prevention.

Sigeti pleads guilty to four out of 40 counts

Rebecca Sigeti could face up to six years in state prison after pleading guilty to four out of 40 counts of fraud, theft and misuse of public funds for embezzling from the Pine-Strawberry Water Improvement District (PSWID) and Sunny Mountain Realty.

Between 2010 until 2016, she stole more than $800,000 from both entities, acting as their bookkeeper. The now-deceased owner of Sunny Mountain alerted the authorities to the embezzlement in 2016. The investigation took months as it coincided with an investigation of former PSWID treasurer Mike Greer. He will be sentenced for theft, fraud and forgery on May 13 in Payson.

On May 20, Sigeti will learn her fate when Judge Tim Wright sentences her in Payson at 10:30 a.m.

Sigeti signed a plea after her attorney hammered out a deal with the Arizona Attorney General’s Office. She took the plea deal during her April 22 change of plea hearing to avoid a jury trial.

PSWID chair Rob Arbuthunot and treasurer Sharon Hillman attended the hearing, but did not make any formal statements — saying they’re wait for the sentencing.

Sigeti pleaded guilty to four counts — fraudulent schemes, violation of duties as a custodian of public monies and two counts of theft. She faces prison time as well as hefty fines. Most of the 40 counts against her were for forgery with a written instrument.

“As to all counts, you will pay restitution to the Pine-Strawberry Water Improvement District in the amount of $524,685 and to Sunny Mountain Realty in the amount of $316,370,” said Wright.

The PSWID board has already collected $89,000 in an insurance settlement for the money she embezzled while a district employee. Prior to that, she was an employee of CH2M, a consulting firm.

The insurance settlement only covers “what she stole from the district while she was an employee of the district,” said Hillman.

To gain back the remaining $418,000, PSWID has filed a lawsuit against Sigeti, CH2M and its parent company OMI.

“They are in the discovery process,” said Arbuthunot.

Man dies while fishing Water Wheel

A Payson man died while fishing at Water Wheel last week, according to the Gila County Sheriff’s Office.

Jeffery Jones, 63, was fishing a small pool just outside the Water Wheel parking lot off Houston Mesa Road April 18 when he reportedly fell and hit his head on rocks.

His son, who was fishing nearby, found Jones lying face down in a shallow pool, unresponsive, said GCSO Det. Sgt. David Hornung.

Jones and his son had reportedly driven out to Water Wheel sometime around 4:30 p.m. to fish while they waited on a prescription refill at a local pharmacy, Hornung said.

Jones’ son decided to walk downstream to fish another pool. When he looked back and didn’t see his dad, he assumed he had gone back to their vehicle, Hornung said.

The son fished further and then decided to return and find his dad. He found Jones some 20 yards from the parking lot in a pool no bigger than 36 inches across, Hornung said.

He pulled Jones’ body out and started CPR. A person in the area called for help around 5:30 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they determined Jones had died.

The cause of death is still under investigation.

“We don’t know if he slipped and hit his head or had a medical event, fell and hit his head,” Hornung said.