Along with the Supervisor’s Office in Phoenix, which remains temporarily closed due to building renovations, all Tonto National Forest Ranger District offices will close on Thursday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day. Ranger district offices will resume normal business hours on Friday, July 5.
The following information will help visitors have a safe and enjoyable experience.
Fireworks or other pyrotechnic devices are prohibited on the Tonto National Forest year-round.
Forest Service officials implemented fire restrictions for the Tonto National Forest on June 15. Fire restrictions remain in place and the following activities are prohibited:
• Target shooting
• Operating internal combustion power tools, using welding equipment or torches with open flames, operating combustion engines without spark-arresting devices in effective working order and meeting either USDA or SAE standards.
• Discharging a firearm, except for taking game in accordance with Arizona hunting laws.
• Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, or a developed recreation site. Officials request that smokers deposit the remains in an ashtray or inside a building and not toss or discard the remains on the ground.
• Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire or charcoal-burning device is prohibited outside of metal fire rings and metal pedestal grills provided by the Forest Service in developed recreation sites.
The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, and heating devices are allowed.
Violation of these fire restrictions is punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 and imprisonment for up to six months.
For more information regarding forest recreation sites and fire restrictions on the Tonto National Forest, contact the Tonto National Forest at 602-225-5200, or online at www.fs.usda.gov/tonto
Tonto National Forest developed recreation sites include:
Payson Ranger District
• Christopher Creek Campground
and Group Site
• Houston Mesa Campground
• Houston Mesa Horse Camp
• Lower Tonto Creek Campground
• Ponderosa Campground and
• Sharp Creek Campground and
• Upper Tonto Creek Campground
Tonto Basin Ranger District
• Apache Lake Marina
• Burnt Corral Campground
• Cholla Campground
• Cottonwood Picnic Site
• Frazier Campground and
• Grapevine Campground
• Roosevelt Lake Marina RV
• Schoolhouse Campground
• Vineyard Picnic Site
• Windy Hill Campground