“I can’t believe we’re at a chimney fire this late in May,” said Payson Fire Chief David Staub. “Usually we’re responding to wildfires.”
On May 24, residents at a home on Edelweiss started a fire in their fireplace.
When they heard a loud noise followed by smoke pouring into the house, the residents vacated to call the fire department, he said.
“When a chimney fire starts, it sounds like a jet engine,” said Dan Bramble, battalion chief.
The whoosh of air from the fire makes that noise, he said.
Firefighters contained the fire to the chimney.
Staub said the department has a thermal imaging camera that shows where the fire has settled.
If the walls of the chimney have collected soot, ash and resin, that’s perfect material for a chimney fire.
“Have your chimney cleaned once a year,” said both Staub and Bramble.
In this case, the call ended up more of a clean up job than a structural fire, but both Staub and Bramble said it could have been much worse.