Chimney Fire Payson

Payson firefighters prepare to clean up a chimney fire. The house did not suffer much damage. The Payson Fire Department recommends cleaning out chimneys once a year.

“I can’t believe we’re at a chimney fire this late in May,” said Payson Fire Chief David Staub. “Usually we’re responding to wildfires.”

On May 24, residents at a home on Edelweiss started a fire in their fireplace.

When they heard a loud noise followed by smoke pouring into the house, the residents vacated to call the fire department, he said.

“When a chimney fire starts, it sounds like a jet engine,” said Dan Bramble, battalion chief.

The whoosh of air from the fire makes that noise, he said.

Firefighters contained the fire to the chimney.

Staub said the department has a thermal imaging camera that shows where the fire has settled.

If the walls of the chimney have collected soot, ash and resin, that’s perfect material for a chimney fire.

“Have your chimney cleaned once a year,” said both Staub and Bramble.

In this case, the call ended up more of a clean up job than a structural fire, but both Staub and Bramble said it could have been much worse.

contact the reporter at: mnelson@payson.com

I cover the Town of Payson, courts, wildfire, business, families, non-profits, the environment and investigative reporting

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Avoid obscene, hateful, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful.
Be Nice. No name-calling, racism, sexism or any sort of -ism degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article. Real names only!